Wife's iPad screen not working....Help!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eye4Desyn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

So...my wife comes home tonight to tell me that her iPad screen doesn't work. We've both had ours since last April (both are Wi-fi + 3G). Nonetheless, it appears that only one-third of her screen is operational/visible while the remaining two-thirds is completely useless. Just out of nowhere she says. I can't verify this, but I have to take her word for it. From what I can see there's no cracking or damage to the screen itself. I've tried a hard reset and just completed a full restore with no luck.

Yes, we know that an iPad 2 announcement/availability is imminent, but we're more interested in getting this one fixed/repaired. Not sure if this matters, but we didn't get Apple Care if any of you are wondering. What options do we have other than ponying up for the next iPad?

2. Tangy Anus macrumors newbie

It's still under warranty. Sounds like she dropped it or caused impact to it because a fraction of the digitizer isn't responding. One of the flex cables may have come loose. Look at ifixit.com for a guide on how to see if any flex ribbons came loose. Also could be water damage.

3. Eye4Desyn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply. She says it's definitely not water damage but she has dropped it once in the past. Surprising as it doesn't have nary a scratch on it. So since it's still under warranty does Apple repair it or do we just get a refurb iPad?

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Your sure the screen is off? Try looking at it under a light to see if the screen is on without the backlight, this has happened to me before. But yeah, just take it into Apple, I don't know what they will do.

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I sincerely don't know why they wouldn't replace the iPad for you. As long as it has no obvious impact spots from it being dropped they should either fix it for you in the store or replace the iPad. Good luck.