Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hi - my wife spilled some water and it apparently got inside her 2015 rMBP... probably via the fan vents. Ugh. I unknowingly brought it into the Genius bar since at first she didn't tell me about the water...I wouldn't have done this if I knew it had water damage. Anyway, they sent it in to a repair facility and I just got the bad news - so now they have it on record that the machine has water damage. They quoted me $750+ tax to repair it.

My two initial questions are:
1. If I have Apple repair it, is my Apple Care warranty STILL void? (If I have it sent back, I'm assuming I will no longer be able to get repairs done in the future since it's on record as having water damage.)

2. Has anyone every dealt with this company? Trying to figure out if they're legit. https://i-geniuses.com/macbook-water-damage/

Weighing my options...

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Hi - my wife spilled some water and it apparently got inside her 2015 rMBP... probably via the fan vents. Ugh. I unknowingly brought it into the Genius bar since at first she didn't tell me about the water...I wouldn't have done this if I knew it had water damage. Anyway, they sent it in to a repair facility and I just got the bad news - so now they have it on record that the machine has water damage. They quoted me $750+ tax to repair it.

My two initial questions are:
1. If I have Apple repair it, is my Apple Care warranty STILL void? (If I have it sent back, I'm assuming I will no longer be able to get repairs done in the future since it's on record as having water damage.)

2. Has anyone every dealt with this company? Trying to figure out if they're legit. https://i-geniuses.com/macbook-water-damage/

Weighing my options...

Sent you MacBook Pro to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

His repair shop page: https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: duervo

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
My suggestion would be to call Apple and find out if they do the repair, would your MB be covered for the remainder of your AppleCare extended warranty.

I would think if Apple does the repair work, you would be covered.

Please let us know

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Would you suggest going after this before I tell them ship my laptop back without repair?

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Would you suggest going after this before I tell them ship my laptop back without repair?

Yes!

From what I'm understanding, your question is: will your MB be covered for future repairs after the water damage is repaired, and the best way to find that out is to call Apple and discuss with them.

As I noted above:
My suggestion would be to call Apple and find out if they do the repair, would your MB be covered for the remainder of your AppleCare extended warranty; I would think if Apple does the repair work, you would be covered.

m
[doublepost=1468494291][/doublepost]
Hi -

Weighing my options...

Read this: https://www.facebook.com/idashgeniuses/reviews

Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone but Apple with the repair; IMHO their customer support is the best!

Last edited:

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Update: I called up Apple support and honestly explained the situation. They refunded my Apple Care, no questions asked. (Purchase was over 30 days ago as well)

After that I requested the Macbook Pro be sent back to me without being repaired. I'll try sending it to the guy mentioned above. So far so good.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Update: I called up Apple support and honestly explained the situation. They refunded my Apple Care, no questions asked. (Purchase was over 30 days ago as well)

After that I requested the Macbook Pro be sent back to me without being repaired. I'll try sending it to the guy mentioned above. So far so good.

Also, please keep us up-to-date with your situation with Rossmann.

I have had a repair done by Rossmann before and was happy with the result, but your experience may vary.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Hi, friends! An update... Finally got her Macbook shipped to Rossmann Repair Group. They are super smart, friendly guys. I talked to them on the phone before sending it to them. They have a super slick ticket system - when they receive your item, they put it into their system and you can view the status. All communication is done through their ticket system as well.

Anyway - they repaired it in 3 business days from the day they received it. $349 for new battery and cleaning. Paid through Paypal. Awesome! I was able to get a refund on my Apple Care so things worked out ok for me this time.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Hi, friends! An update... Finally got her Macbook shipped to Rossmann Repair Group. They are super smart, friendly guys. I talked to them on the phone before sending it to them. They have a super slick ticket system - when they receive your item, they put it into their system and you can view the status. All communication is done through their ticket system as well.

Anyway - they repaired it in 3 business days from the day they received it. $349 for new battery and cleaning. Paid through Paypal. Awesome! I was able to get a refund on my Apple Care so things worked out ok for me this time.

How you gotten the laptop back? Is it working well?

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Received the laptop today. In regards to the repair, all seems to be well. They didn't screw the bottom case in very well; a couple of the screws are quite loose so the case isn't tight. They also left a few nicks on the case that were not previously there. I messaged them about this. Bummer.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Received the laptop today. In regards to the repair, all seems to be well. They didn't screw the bottom case in very well; a couple of the screws are quite loose so the case isn't tight. They also left a few nicks on the case that were not previously there. I messaged them about this. Bummer.

Well, no one is perfect. I am not sure what you want him to do.

I also repair MacBooks (although I don't repair logic boards) and sometimes these nicks and scratches happened.

---

As for tightening bottom screws, you can either buy/borrow a pentalobe screwdriver or have Apple tighten them for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.