Wife's new Macbook Pro question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dobbs2, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Alright I have had a few Macs, but I'm always learning. When I purchased Lion from the App Store last summer I was able to make a bootable usb drive. WEll I bought a new Macbook Pro today for her birthday. If Mountain Lion is already installed how or where can I find the installer file? Am I out of luck? Do I still have to buy Mountain Lion from the App Store to get the .dmg file? Thanks for all the help.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yup, unfortunately the installer is not located anywhere on the drive itself. You would have to purchase it.

3. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dang, I would have been better off just buying it when Mountain Lion was not preinstalled. I waited so I wouldn't have to hassle upgrading it.

4. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Have you tried going to the app store. And sign in. You should see mountain Lion their. I believe if you already have mountain Lion instal you can't download the installer. But if you hold the option key it will let you download the installer. I know for Ilife if you sign in to your account using your new Mac. you can download it to your other mac free of charge. Im not sure about Mountain Lion.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, I would try this out too, but I'm not sure if it will send you a redemption code if the notebook you got already had it preinstalled. I would assume that apple would be tracking the serial numbers that already came with it.

----------

Yeah, not sure if this will work either. Main reason Apple gives you the ability to download iLife is because if you reinstall lion from backup it wipes clean any applications such as those.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it should work i was in the same situation last year when it was lion up to date program and mine came with lion preinstalled, and i posted the same advice on here last week for someone in the OPs situation and it worked for him

8. theBostonian, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

theBostonian Suspended

Just to confirm, I received my Mac last week with Mountain Lion preinstalled. I just went on to the up to date site, entered my details, and I received a password protected pdf file which contained a redemption code (within seconds) that I input into the mac app store.

So to the OP, if you want a .dmg of Mountain Lion then just follow the instructions in post #5, it worked for me.

9. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Worked for me. Thank you guys.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

No problem glad it worked

11. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

It's understandable this would work since Apple does not supply the OS restore disks anymore.

12. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the Apple store employees told me it wasn't possible to do. I figured there would be a way. Apple doesn't really put out anything to say that this works. The Apple store employees kept saying the only way to restore a computer was through the partition.