Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kj4cuo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I have searched and I probably didn't look at ALL of the results, but I cant seem to figure out if my wifes laptop is too old or Itunes is hosed up. It just will not back up and update on her PC. So I said to myself, Self!, Why not just back it up on your Mac-Pro and update her to iOS5. Well, I get this message saying that it will delete all her stuff that she has downloaded to her phone directly. Note, that she is new to iPhone and does not get the whole sync your phone ever now and again. Im working on it. Any help or ref to a link would be helpful. She has the iPhone 4.
Thank
Mark
lowly 3GS owner soon to be 4S owner...:)

Last edited:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Create a new account for her on your macbook pro. Possibly able to sync her stuff to her own iTunes then.

Or I guess it's called a new user.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I have that same issue, i sync my wifes with an older Dell and mine is on a MBP. I have been trying to figure out a way to handle this best.

Honestly now i was just planning on having her backup to the cloud, so shes basically PC free.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You could copy her Library to your computer, then open iTunes (holding the command key) and select her Library, then go through the syncing process (you shouldn't need her stuff, as the Libary will just say they aren't there, and might copy her purchases to the computer.), and update.

TEG

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I had my account set up on my Win7 netbook. When I bought my husband an iPad I set his account up on his laptop. Well, he went overseas for 6 months and carrying my netbook was easier so I had to set accounts for each of us on the other pc.

I created new user accounts on each pc and copied the iTunes folder from the original to the new account. Worked like a charm. All I had to do was make sure the correct Apple ID was signed in in iTunes, ran new backups.

Here Is an article on iTunes file locations.
http://apple-ipad-tablet-help.blogspot.com/2010/03/ipad-backup-location.html

morningstarc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
I had the same issue when trying to update my husbands phone. His vista machine just would not do a backup it just sat for hours taxing the cpu @ 100% it crashed his machine. So I did a backup, without syncing, of his phone on my computer. I updated his phone, and when it asks do you want to set up as a new machine or restore from backup, I restored from the backup. I thought I hosed it, none of his stuff was there and it just showed like 20 gbs of "other". Put it back on his machine and synced it and all the apps and music were there; along with all the app data, I'm guessing the 20 gbs of "other" that were put back during the restore from backup.

So try doing a backup but not syncing it. When you update it, restore from backup. Then put on her computer and sync it, all music and apps will sync from her computer, the app data will be restored from the backup you made before updating it. At least that's how it worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.