wifi 5Ghz issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Serban, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Serban Suspended

Since iphone 6 ios 8 my wi fi 5Ghz is disconnecting a lot...on 2.4ghz is working and i have high signal

P S my imac and macbook pro are working flawless on my 5ghz wifi but my iphone 6 ios 8.0.2 is not...why?

2. Act3 macrumors 65816

stick with 2.4 ghz until apple fixes it

5 ghz worked fine in 7.1.2, Id be certain they will eventually get it working right in 8.whatever

My household has 2 ipads, and an atv2 that still connect fine to 5 ghz, they don't have any version of ios 8 on them. my 5s has 8.0.2 and it no longer plays well with 5ghz.

3. HRO923 macrumors newbie

HRO923

I'm also having the same issue.. Constantly disconnecting while on 5Ghz.

4. Serban thread starter Suspended

yes..on iOS 7.1.2 was working fine.. so its the iOS8 to blame since the iMac and my macbook works fine on 5ghz?

5. Act3 macrumors 65816

yes my 5s connected fine to my airport router 5 ghz until I put ios 8.0.2 on my 5s...now it will disconnect randomly if i connect to 5 ghz, using 2.4 ghz it runs fine with no disconnects

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. iOS 7.1.2 presumably was installed on the iPhone 5s you cite in your signature. The iPhone 6/6 Plus use a new wi-fi chip that supports 802.11ac. There have been many past reports of Apple devices not playing nice with certain routers. You might want to first see if your router is running the latest firmware version.

Just because your iMac and Macbook are okay on 5 GHz does not mean that the same applies to the 6/6 Plus, since these devices in all likelihood use different wi-fi chips, as well as different drivers and different OSes.

FWIW, my 5s (iOS 8.0.2) works fine on 5 GHz and I've not had a single dropped wi-fi connection. Also FWIW, both my home and work use Linksys dual band routers and have the latest firmware installed.

7. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

8.1 should resolve it

Early reports are iOS 8.1b2 have resolved the 5ghz wifi issue. Hopefully will see it in a week or two.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I've always connected on 5 GHz. There are at least 30 Wi-Fi networks in my apartment so the 2.4 GHz band is pretty much unusable. I have had no problems whatsoever on iOS 8, 8.0.2, or 8.1. So the issues at least appear to be network or router specific as opposed to universal.

9. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Nope. Not the case for me. iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air on iOS 8.1b2. On either device, 5GHz continues to drop out on a regular basis.

10. z06gal macrumors 6502

My experience on beta 2 has been the opposite so far. No dropped connections and very good speed on both bands. I just hope it continues ;)

11. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Dang. Wish I could share that experience!

I've Restored/set up as new I don't know how many times with iOS 8.0, 8.0.2, and 8.1. The 5GHz network just will not play nice with iPad Air.

All this with the latest edition of the Apple AirPort Express too. Already started over from scratch with it too.

At work, we have 5GHz networks. iPhone 6 Plus is fine there (and at home), but the iPad still drops connections there as well.

12. 1k9 macrumors member

Changed my 5ghz to a higher band and iPad Air ios8.0.2 working much better

13. Serban thread starter Suspended

14. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I am also seeing this problem with my i6. It didn't even pick up the 5ghz, I had to manually put it in. It connected but keeps dropping it and switching to 2.4ghz. Never does this with my MBP or the i5's we have.

15. funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

Let's hope Apple sort this quick. Don't waste time with restores etc. they don't work. Only fix will be an iOS update.

16. Hammie, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have not seen a single issue with 8.x and 802.11n 5GHz on any of my home networks. My various APs are from Cisco/Linksys, Fortinet, D-Link (x2), and Apple Time Capsule. I cannot say that the Cisco and D-Link units are on the latest firmwares, but the others are.

I can connect to any of them and get pretty much the same throughput speeds for each connection.

I'm not sure if this is router/AP specific as some have said. I am running a diverse set of devices and I'm not seeing any issues. I am wondering if there is a conflict between apps trying to use location sharing and the wi-fi dropping. I am thinking it is more software related than hardware.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I wonder if there is a conflict with newer 802.11ac routers/APs. Since I am using all N devices, there any not be a conflict. I don't know... Just thinking out loud.

17. bp1000 macrumors 65816

iphone 6+ with an Airport Extreme. Whilst 5ghz connects its very slow to re-appear when i wake the phone.

It will often re-connect to the other 2.4ghz base stations i have in the house. And yes i'm easily in range of the 5ghz AE.

In some cases it fail to find the AE at all, or at least takes a VERY long time to find it.

18. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

In past transitions, I did experience various wi-fi networking issues until I configured the router to run on only one protocol. Even if I upgraded all the client devices to the same protocol, I would still get random glitches until I eliminated all backwards compatibility on the router.

Right now, my network is configured for "Wireless N Only" and I have not had a connection issue with any of my devices in more than two years. My PS3 (which only has 802.11g wi-fi built in) had problems staying connected to the network until I plugged it into a wireless N bridge using Ethernet. This allowed me to eliminate all the other protocols from my network, and everything has been rock solid since then.

Even if you have an 802.11ac router, you might want to try going "Wireless N Only" and see if that improves the wi-fi reliability.

19. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Good point.

All of mine are the dual radio versions. I have one radio set to 2.4GHz a/b/g and the other as 5GHz n only.

I never liked the auto connect because I would always seem to get horrible speeds. No connection issues that I can remember having.

20. SidBoggle macrumors regular

I was having lots of wifi issues on my 6 plus and AirPort Extreme. After updating to 8.1 beta 2 everything now seems fine.

21. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I have not experienced any problem with 5ghz might be a router issue.

22. ZipZap macrumors 601

Zero issues using 5GHZ with my 6+ on 8.0. Airport Extreme (current edition), Microcell.

23. Serban thread starter Suspended

nice to here that, we hope that all wifi issues are gone with 8.1

24. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I went ahead and tried the "reset my network settings" and viola, it picked up my 5ghz. It has been working great ever since. :D

25. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I have reset a few times and am still having issues with losing connectivity...it's quite frustrating. I don't know what else to do at this point.