Wifi affecting call quality. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahfu25, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I have a D-Link Dgl 4500 wireless N router. Is there any way that it can affect call quality? Reason I ask is because my call quality is bad all of a sudden. Its both my iP4 and my blackberry. I have a linksys router that isnt wireless-N and when I install that one call quality goes back to normal. For now I'm staying with the linksys untill I figure it out.

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are you using a bluetooth headset?

Bluetooth uses the same unlicensed frequency band as WiFi, so it's possible that the router could be interfering with a bluetooth headset if you're using it. But it is unlikely to interfere with the cellular reception unless something was wrong with it.

4. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try this. Thanx

5. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No bluetooth. I had the apple headset on when I noticed it so I took them off and still had the same problem:confused:

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that's weird stuff!
    Maybe when hooking up the DLink set it for the N to only run in 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz to see if it would actually make a difference on the interference (the iPhone runs in 2.4Ghz N only anyways), I don't think it would do too much but try it, also do you have low phone signal in your house normally?

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

That is weird, no issues when I'm connected to wifi, call quality is always crystal clear.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

While I haven't had any issues with the quality of the call, i do believe the Wifi Radio is leaking and affecting the sensitivity of the GSM radio, I usually got 5 bars of signal at my office desk, as soon as I enable my Wifi the signal drops to 3 bars, Disable wifi and signal come back to 5 bar (it takes a like 30sec to a min to come back due to the hysteresis Apple recently implemented on the signal algorithm). I can repeat this test on any High signal area with no much on a effort.

As I mentioned, not really big deal for me since no cal quality or drop calls have been affecting me, however I do believe that it could easily cause it if you got other devices running at the same freq on your surroundings.

If anyone else care to repeat the experiments and report back, would be cool! :cool:

9. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny thing when I was tweaking my settings. When I set my router for N only my iphone doesnt see it!?!:confused:

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

iPhone would only use 2.4Ghz N not 5Ghz (chip is only 2.4N capable), so you have to change the settings on the router to send 2.4Ghz freqs also or make all of N to run on 2.4Ghz. (I put orig. 2.5 in the other post but is 2.4 )