Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hello all,

Anyone else having Wifi issues or fast battery drain with their iPhone SE since updating to iOS 12?

I went from iOS 10 to iOS 12 last week, and so far I have been impressed. But I notice that sometimes the Wifi drops and have low bars from locations that were previously fine.

Another issue I have been having was the battery % drops a lot quicker than under iOS 10. I usually only charge my iPhone when in my car, but I have had to charge it multiple times in my home since updating to 12.

My LTE seems to be fine, at least I haven't notice an issue.

I saw this article, and I wonder if it is not just XS phones that are having the issues.

Reactions: Dekema2

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yes, battery has been lasting 5-6 hours of on screen usage if I’m lucky. I also noticed that opening apps and scrolling seemed a bit slower than iOS 11. I haven’t had WiFi trouble though.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I am currently at 6%.

I used to hardly ever see single digits, now it is an everyday occurrence.

I hope this is a temporary thing. If not, I might have to get a charger for my desk at my office.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I am currently at 6%.

I used to hardly ever see single digits, now it is an everyday occurrence.

I hope this is a temporary thing. If not, I might have to get a charger for my desk at my office.

Same. It would be easier to write it off as an annoyance if it weren’t for the fact that this is putting extra charge cycles on our batteries and therefore wearing them out quicker. That’s the part that bothers me. They better fix this in an iOS update, but I’m not banking on it.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve heard people say every big update causes battery drain because there are a lot of tasks going on in the background for several days after the update. Not sure if it’s true but maybe give it some more time to see if it normalizes.

I haven’t updated yet myself. Probably will soon.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
I’ve had nothing but trouble with the SE battery since updating to iOS 12 last week. Irregular % countdowns, different battery levels if you turn off and power on again, phone turns off at 5% and today experienced an unexpected shutdown due to peak power levels. The phone is only 10 months old and reporting 100% battery health.

Attachments

• D401CEA5-3FE4-4E1F-ACCF-DF6C18DBF9F0.png
    D401CEA5-3FE4-4E1F-ACCF-DF6C18DBF9F0.png
    88 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: Dekema2

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Not sure if it’s true but maybe give it some more time to see if it normalizes.

Normally I would think this too, but I am pretty sure there is more to it than just indexing. It has been a over a week and the battery still drains fast.

I barely used my phone today since it was fully charged this morning, and a few hours later, it is currently at 72%.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
My SE has had plenty of time to settle down, updated it the minute iOS 12 was released. Is the battery just not up to the job for iOS 12 even at 100% capacity?

My iPhone 6 Plus at 94% capacity easily lasts 2 days with normal usage and my iPad 2017 can last all week! Both on iOS 12.

Just seems the iOS 12/SE combination has issues for some.

Reactions: myrtlebee

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I have iPhone 5s, battery seems fine under 12.

But as usual, Apple used 12 to turn bluetooth back on. If you're not using bluetooth, make sure it's not turned on, and check that your other prefs are set properly, because even if Apple knows best, you might want better battery life.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
My SE has had plenty of time to settle down, updated it the minute iOS 12 was released. Is the battery just not up to the job for iOS 12 even at 100% capacity?

My iPhone 6 Plus at 94% capacity easily lasts 2 days with normal usage and my iPad 2017 can last all week! Both on iOS 12.

Just seems the iOS 12/SE combination has issues for some.

It is definitely a software issue. My SE is brand new, only used it a few days on iOS 11, and also has 100% battery capacity. Battery was fantastic for the few days I had it on iOS 11. No settings are different than when I was on 11 either. I refuse to go back to iOS 12 because I am not willing to sacrifice security updates and using the latest software just to avert an issue Apple will hopefully correct in the next update of iOS 12.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
My partner has been telling me this has been a problem for her over the last couple of days, both the wifi and battery issues. I’m going to try resetting the network settings later, but hopefully an update will fix this. I’m contemplating installing a beta certificate on her phone so I can at least file bugs about the decreased battery life and wifi reliability.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Hello all,

Anyone else having Wifi issues or fast battery drain with their iPhone SE since updating to iOS 12?

I went from iOS 10 to iOS 12 last week, and so far I have been impressed. But I notice that sometimes the Wifi drops and have low bars from locations that were previously fine.

Another issue I have been having was the battery % drops a lot quicker than under iOS 10. I usually only charge my iPhone when in my car, but I have had to charge it multiple times in my home since updating to 12.

My LTE seems to be fine, at least I haven't notice an issue.

I saw this article, and I wonder if it is not just XS phones that are having the issues.
Glad I found this, I'm having the exact same issues. Made a post earlier about it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...constant-wi-fi-disconnection-on-12-0.2144304/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.