Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0 MP card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rip-the-jacker, Mar 26, 2015.

1. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

hey guys,

got all my setup up and running today, its sweet considering its currently only on 16gig RAM and the 2.66 QC Xeon (for now!).

What I was looking at today on the bay is (251754210499 - item number) and wondering if upgrading this card is worthwhile? I have not really used handoff etc on my MBA so was really wanting to know if the WIFI on it is that much faster that it is worth the £60-£70 it costs?

If so, I will upgrade it next depending what you peeps think of it!

RTJ

2. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

There is a megathread in this forum that has a guide to installing a Handoff Capable card in a Mac Pro. Is it worth it? Maybe. Get a feel for how Handoff works on your MBA, and determine if you want it on your MP. To utilize the faster AC internet, you'll need to be wirelessly connected to an AC network, which would require a Wireless AC router. Otherwise, there's minimal benefit over an N card. As far as BT 4.0LE is concerned, who knows when Apple will kill that, or make it required? As more and more features are introduced, the demand for BT 4.0LE might grow. For example, I have a Handoff capable card in my iMac Hack, and LOVED Handoff so much that I bought an upgrade for my 2011 MBP, and am currently looking towards getting one for my tower. It all depends on how much you want Handoff/etc.