Wifi (and FaceTime) seem crappy again

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jhkaplan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Just opened up my new iPad and called my gf via FaceTime. She is on her white MacBook and I called from the iPad. I'll save any discussion about the camera quality (it sucks, but we knew and expected that). FaceTime seems to not work that well for me though.

I'm on my wifi N 2.4ghz band, and FaceTime constantly froze. We tried 2-3 times and it always seemed to freeze. We then jumped over to Skype (using the iPhone app doubled) and Skype had no connection or freezing problems.

Hopefully this was just some random occurrences and FaceTime isn't this crappy all the time. I didn't like having to face chat via Skype when it was doubled. Not sure if it was a wifi issue since Skype seemed to work well, although any streaming video I've tried to watch (from CNN app) has stuttered too.

Anyone else have any issues?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Strange. FaceTime works loads better on my iPhone 4 than Skype does. I wonder what's going on?

3. tkadrum macrumors member

I am not sure why people are buying iPad2, despite what they've read about and should expect it.
    I am waiting for iPad3. My friend bought iPad2 and already returning the damn thing.

4. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm interesting. Maybe its a wifi issue. Videos I just tested from the CNN and abc app load really slowly.

5. Pared macrumors 65816

You signed up to post pearls of wisdom such as this? Why?

As for the topic - did you have anyone else you can try calling?

6. ozred macrumors 6502

Did you really expect an improvement?

7. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Well 1. This is my first iPad so I didn't really know what to expect.
    2. Yeah, it's the 2nd generation. I'd expect they fix problems from the first generation.

8. eyefocus2 macrumors newbie

and I'm waiting for ipad 4 ;)

9. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

I think its the hardware.....I get my iPad2 Monday, but my perspective is, my iPhone4, built last summer, when using facetime is both fluid and HD, my macbook air, october 2010 revision's facetime is fluid, but not HD, I understand its not supposed to be because MBA doesnt have retina display, but the quality is unexplicably worse than iP4, the internet is constant so it's not the problem(Verizon FiOS 25down/15up). I expect my iPad to do better than my MBA but worse than my iP4.

10. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Fix facetime? Nothing was wrong with facetime on ipad 1...

11. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

iPad one didn't have facetime.........because it didn't have cameras......the whole concept of facetime was birthed last June24th with the iPhone-4 release.....