Wifi and Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by random-uk, Apr 26, 2015.

1. random-uk macrumors newbie

random-uk

In the second Watch event, this was said:

"When you're home you don't have to be within bluetooth range of your phone. You can be anywhere in your house and still get all your messages and take your phone calls just like that." - Kevin Lynch

Has anyone been able to get that to work? When I'm out of bluetooth range but on the same wifi network, all I'm able to get to work is the onboard apps: fitness, photos etc.

No Siri, no iMessages, no dictation, no notifications.

Anyone else have a different experience?

2. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

From the manual, so you should be able to use those functions.

3. darkarw macrumors regular

4. random-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

random-uk

Yes, I read that bit too but it doesn't seem to work for me. For example, if my iPhone is on my wifi and I turn off bluetooth (to simulate being out of bluetooth range) Watch can no longer do Siri.

If I leave bluetooth on but move physically away from my phone until I see the red disconnected icon on Watch, Siri no longer works.

I was wondering if I'd set something up wrong or whether there is a bug in the software.

5. jannette macrumors 6502

Try removing your network from your iPhone and then adding it back again - that worked for me and I can make calls when the BT on my iPhone is off. Also try standing near your router and see if the Watch connects.

6. random-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

random-uk

7. random-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

random-uk

Thanks jannette, that made it work for me. Siri, Remote etc now working over wifi.

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

it does work

I got this working on Saturday, yes once you have paired and setup the watch and IF you don't take it off the wrist (or you have to re-authenticate), then it will use the wifi for connectivity and make calls, get notifications, etc.

9. macgeek01 macrumors 6502a

There are all ready several threads about this with a lot of info and different people's experience. Do a search.

10. Newbie67 macrumors member

Newbie67

This is great info. Thanks for the help on resetting the network. Seems to work.

I posted this over the weekend and I believe what you guys are saying

I believe that all functions seem to work on wifi provided there is an established Bluetooth connection with the phone first. I ran a few tests on wifi
    1- shut off BT on phone- watch working all functions go (Edit- see below no calls)
    2- shut off wifi on phone- watch lost connection, red disconnect icon displayed. No functions
    3- next turned wifi on phone. No change in watch, no connection
    4- restarted watch, phone still on wifi only. No connection after watch restarted
    5- turned on BT on phone wifi still on. Immediate connection on watch. All functions
    6- turned off BT on phone. Watch still connected via wifi

Simply seems like the watch needs a BT handoff in order to exchange network information so it can stay connected on wifi.

That's my science project for Saturday morning. Any input from my geek brethren ?

SS 42 model
    Originally Posted by Newbie67