wifi and your cell phone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by loramarie06, Mar 5, 2008.

1. loramarie06 macrumors newbie

I just got the touch a few days ago, and i know that it only has wifi, but i was wondering, if i bought a bluetooth adapter for the touch, could i connect it to my cell phone via bluetooth and use my cell phone kind of as a modem for the touch?

just an idea...i figured i would ask before i paid 90 for the adapter

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is no bluetooth for the iPod touch.

TEG

3. loramarie06 thread starter macrumors newbie

there is a bluetooth adapter though that allows your touch to have bluetooth. At least thats what the guy at the store said.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The only bluetooth adapter I'm aware for any iPod is one for bluetooth headsets. You can't use it to network, because there is no setup utility in the iPod for it, and even the iPhone can't network via bluetooth.

TEG

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I wasn't aware of the fact that there are bluetooth headset adapters. At any rate, there is a sort of method to tether 3G to an iPhone, but only on like select Nokia's I think. Other than that, you can't "teather" an EDGE/3G phone to an iPod touch because a) there is no native bluetooth software in the iTouch and b) even just a dongle couldn't be hacked to read the same bluetooth signal. It would be a receiver not a "giver" basically.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In theory you could tether an iPod touch if the Phone could create an ad-hoc WiFi network, or tether the phone to a computer and have the computer bridge between bluetooth and WiFi.

TEG

7. loramarie06 thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the adaptors, but i dont think they will work now that i am actually doing research on them...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...uetooth+adapter&type=product&id=1190677869598

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...uetooth+adapter&type=product&id=1172880153499

but someone recommened this..i dont know how it works, but it somehow turns your phone into a wifi router...

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

you have to have a phone that has windows mobile, which i do...

but i dont know if this would work..just another thought...

8. loramarie06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried the wmwifirouter and I can personally confirm that it works!!!

9. EdwardsNH macrumors member

Let me get this straight. I need windows mobile to get os x mobile to work :rolleyes:

10. loramarie06 thread starter macrumors newbie

here are the requirements for being able to turn your cell phone into a wifi router..

To use WMWifiRouter you need the following on your mobile device*:
    Windows Mobile 5 AKU 3.3 or newer or Windows Mobile 6
    Both a wifi and a cellular data connection
    An installed and working version of Internet Sharing**
    15 MB of free device memory

just look up on google wmwifirouter and it should be the first link....i downloaded it directly to my phone