wifi: ask to connect

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Van Wildonher, May 14, 2008.

1. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Am I wrong in assuming that this would ask me if I wanted to connect to a wireless network that is in range? Say I go to a friends house and he has a secured wifi router, would the iPhone not ask me if I want to join this new network?

It doesn't seem to be happening with my phone. :confused:

2. Van Wildonher thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. bstpierre macrumors 6502

It might not ask since it is secure. Go to the settings and select the wifi network you want to connect to and enter the authentication and in the future it should just hook you up without even asking.

4. Van Wildonher thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess that's how it works. I would prefer it asked if I want to connect to secure networks too though. Oh well it's not that big of a deal to go into settings and connect it.

5. '73-B macrumors regular

It should ask if you want to join even if it is secure. Walking through downtown DC and using my phone it is constantly asking if I want to join networks and I would say a vast majority of them are secure.

6. Van Wildonher thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Do you have under Settings: Wi-Fi: Ask to Join Networks set to ON?

8. Van Wildonher thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. zmit macrumors regular

walking through downtown DC im sure that a lot of them would actually be unsecured.
    reason being, they are probably prescription based.
    if the iphone asked you for every single wifi network, secured or not, it would get very very annoying.

it SHOULD at least ask for the unsecured ones.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup it should ask you if you want to join, secure or not. When it asks for the secure, you should see a little lock next to the wifi symbol.