Wifi at school

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cdcoleman, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cdcoleman macrumors newbie

My school has all macbooks and uses them with the wifi. I used an old windows computer and ran a program that finds the wifi password and it gave me a Hex one and a ASCII one, when I enter these on my itouch it accepts the password but then the internet doesnt work. Each one of these works if I enter them.

Is it the schools firewall or my phones wifi with WEP ? It works fine at home

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What about using the password you think is correct, on a laptop?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The hex one is the one you use (10 characters and numbers).

I don't see how a firewall would prevent access if you have the pwd. Are you allowed to be on this? Why don't you just ask IT?

4. cdcoleman thread starter macrumors newbie

The hex one is over 10 digits and only has one letter in it near the end. I get connected but it just says invalid argument on Safari I believe.

The school's policy is it doesnt give out the wifi password you have the use laptops that already have it.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

so even if you do manage to figure out the password, you run the risk of getting expelled? is that a bright idea?
    Not to mention you've just admitted to hacking the school network to get a password. You might have a visit from the police in your future.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Each MAC Address is registered, anything not matching ones on the database arent allowed a connection, even with the right password.

Basically every school does this, unless they freely give out the WiFi password.

7. cdcoleman thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I wouldn't get expelled, my teachers have gone over the fact that the internet belongs to us, the students and should not be blocked.

2. I never said I hacked the school network, I simply stated I used a program that searches the computer for the wifi password, if your already connected to the wifi and the password is already stored on the computer what am I hacking into that I don't already have access too?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Then how many characters is it? WEP is 10. WAP is I think 64 or so.

9. cdcoleman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hex key is 26 characters

The ASCII is 13 characters

10. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

old-wiz: You need to relax. First, expleeled? Really? It's wifi connecting to the interent, not a secured network with student information on it. Second, the fuzz? Seriously, do you even get the understanding of what the OP is doing at all? Also, drop the sarcastic tone. HTML doesn't really process it correctly.

ANYWAY:
    In my experience, (H.S. named Holy Cross), the main IT guy (total hotty, btw :D) uses manual IP addressing to manually add each machine to the network. A bunch of us techies at the school know the password, but we can never resolve an IP.

So even if you have the right pass (which I dont doubt or anything) you minghn't be able to connect due to secondary security measures like I met.

Best of luck!

11. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    Are you sure it isn't WPA-TKIP?

I think this is the one where you don't have to use a certain amount of characters.

12. cdcoleman thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update, I tried using a computers ip address and it worked but the mac laptop would then say Ip address xxx.xxx.x.x (the ip address) is already in use by ( numbers / letters) i think it was my mac address or something. But i tried going on later in the day at school and it no longer worked.

Is there a way of blocking my itouch if the school tech saw the ip adddress that was trying to connect?

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Network access is controlled for a very good reason. While it may cause inconvenience, there's something larger at stake than the minor hoops you have to jump through to get on a protected network. While it may fly in the OP's high school (or yours) to just do whatever you want, as you move up in the world this isn't going to be the case. At the least you should start adopting best practices now instead of being rudely surprised in a situation where you can be severely punished for taking such actions.

14. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

would it be okay to ask what program u used to get the password? i would absolutely love to know.

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

haha erm...you're probably better off PMing that question

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You are aware that accessing a secure network without permission is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison, right?

17. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yes but for those times when my friend forgets his router password...that he had already set to a custom one and doesnt want to restore his router to factory defaults.

18. dansufc macrumors newbie

The school has more than likely also got a proxy to access the internet, the settings of which need to be in your touch to be able to access the internet

19. Kulahan macrumors newbie

If you're connected to the network, they'll know you're there. If you spoof your MAC address and IP address, and get on the network, they might not notice that it's not supposed to be there, thinking it's just the mac laptop, but either way, this is a stupid thing to do. IF you get caught, they can impose some pretty serious punishments on you. I would advise against this.

20. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

So they have their network set up with manual IP addresses. When you enter the laptop's IP address on your machine, you prevent the laptop from being able to access the network, since each address can only be used by one computer. They could have your MAC address and blocked it to prevent you from stealing IP addresses. There are ways to spoof MAC addresses, but let me warn you, you already obtained the wifi password through questionable means and have found that IT has configured the network with manual addresses. These are clear signs that you are not allowed to connect your devices to the network. Proceeding with further attempts to bypass the school's security would not be viewed favorably by the network administrators.

Your teachers may say the internet is for your use, but the network administrators have put these protections in place because unauthorized access to the network can cause problems for all computers on the network. Don't make their job more difficult by breaking through their protections.