WiFi Australia

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Genghis Khan, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

alright fellow aussies...we will shortly begin receiving our touch screen wifi devices

now where can we use them in this technological backwater? (no offence to anyone who thinks otherwise)

i've got...

maccas
    starbucks

plus...
    uni
    hospital waiting rooms
    Melbourne Central food court
    State Library, Victoria

and other odd spots like cafes and bars
    http://www.freewifi.com.au/listing_summary.php

but what would be great is a list of places you could go and know you'd get wireless (like maccas and starbucks), not unique places dotted around.

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

By March next year Sydney is getting CBD-wide free wifi. Giggity giggity

3. shoefly macrumors member

That's going to make waiting for a bus with my touch much more enjoyable :)

4. robPOD macrumors 6502

5. nlivo macrumors 6502a

if by "melbourne central food court" you mean 'Australia on Collins' then yes that has free wi-fi. If sydney is getting city wide wi-fi melbourne better. John Soe needs to pick up his game.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, I was at Melb Central last week, I had my PowerBook with me and there was no Wifi in the food court. And I didn't think the Wifi at McD's was free either.

I can't really think of any other places that have it other than Melbourne Uni and that's not really free - you need to be a student.

They should definitely get free Wifi for the entire CBD, especially if Sydney's getting it.

7. cravr macrumors newbie

is that confirmed?

have also been wondering how much free wifi is actually available in and around sydney cbd... guess we'll find out for sure soon!

8. Genghis Khan thread starter macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

by melbourne central food court i mean Melbourne Central Food Court....which is nowhere near collins street

and yes melbourne uni has wifi...but you access it through a proxy...can you do this on iPod touch?

and if sydney gets wifi, it''s only a matter or time before melbourne gets it...we're both so petty when it comes to competition:eek::p

9. shoefly macrumors member

There were a few apparently open hotspots near Town Hall last time I checked with my DS, but I didn't have time to connect and try them out.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I can use it at:

My parents' house.
    My mate's place upstairs.
    My work.

That'll pretty much do me, if the wireless reception is as good as the MacBook I took home last week from work I'll be able to use it at my place too.

Macca's WiFi isn't free, you have to pay Tel-suck for the privilege. Not sure about Starbucks, there aren't any around here. One thing's for sure, I'm taking it into Wollongong Mall when I get it to see if there are any open networks. Oh, and god help the club on Wednesdays if there's an open WiFi network because with the power of Google we will win ALL the meat trays in trivia. MU HAHAHAH

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Hmm, interesting. Which level of Melbourne Central?

I think if you have the proxy settings saved in one of your locations on your Mac then they can be transferred to your Touch.

12. chrijame macrumors newbie

Adelaide was the first Australian city to have free wifi, lol now i can finally use it hehe :D