Wifi Auto-search

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mr.stinki, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone!! This is my first post here. I've been going to the site for a while, but I just decided to make an account.

I have a pretty useful feature that i would like to be added to the iphone through a software update.

-------
    We all want to save battery life, but at the same time, we want to have wifi speeds. That's where Auto-Search would come in handy. It keeps wifi off, and turns it on when it is needed. When ever you use any of the internet features (such as safari, mail, youtube, etc.) iPhone will automatically search for Unencrypted or known networks and automatically joins the best one available. After you stop using any web-based apps for a couple of minutes, it will disconnect from the access point automatically and turn Wifi off.

If you do not find an access point, you can tell auto search to look for access points every __ minutes.

For example, you're using safari, but using EDGE, after 10 minutes, iphone will look for wifi. After 10 more minutes it will look again until it finds an access point, or until i stop using the apps.

Again, it will turn wifi on and off to conserve battery life.

This can also work with mail auto-check. When ever the phone detects that it has mail, it'll use the auto-search feature to see if it can use a wifi access point for speedy downloads.
    -------

So what do you guys think?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

good idea although i leave my wifi on and just charge every night. Think some Symbian phones do something similar

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I do the same...

:cool: