Wifi, bluetooth, and the watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tknice, Apr 25, 2015.

1. tknice macrumors member

Now that I have the watch, I'm starting to see the wifi aspect doesn't work quite like I thought it would. I thought I'd be able to leave my phone plugged in somewhere and as long as both the phone and watch are on wifi, I'd be able to roam anywhere my wifi permits and my Bluetooth headset would connect to the watch. Life is good.

Well, it seems like there is really no wifi connection on the watch and it either just "knows" after being paired with the phone, or maybe it's Bluetooth too, I can't tell. The part I don't like is the headset seems to get crackly even though I know it's paired with the watch and when I'm on the other side of the house from my phone.

Can someone explain to me how this works?

Thanks!

2. Slcflier macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that the watch is not connecting to Wi-Fi. There is no reason to believe that just because your phone is connected to Wi-Fi that the watch could then be able to automatically login without putting in a Wi-Fi password. Pretty sure that it's just links to your phone through the same process that airdrop works. What have you ever read the leads you to believe that the watch connects to Wi-Fi?

3. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

No, Airdrop does use bt and wifi, first bt to establish the connection and wifi for the transfer speed.

Now the apple watch uses Bluetooth primarily between the phone and watch. The wifi ( and this is just my understanding) is ment for when your phone isnt in connection distance for bt, it still can do something. Now what that is i'm not sure.

I hope this clears it up...

4. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Everything that has been written by Apple on how the watch works? I agree that the automatic login is a question mark. I don't have the time right now, but anyone can open their router and see what devices are connected.

5. h9826790, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

6. MEGAB4K3R macrumors regular

MEGAB4K3R

7. tknice thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I don't know... This doesn't seem to be the case. My wifi network is strong--I have three POE APs spread out that are enterprise quality. I don't believe there are any signal strength issues, so why does the Bluetooth begin to break up?

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Do you use super strong password for the Wi-Fi network? Another user report that he use 64 character password, the watch doesn't work. And once he reduce the length of the password, the watch works flawlessly.