Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Anyone use it? I downloaded Wififofum and added what I would normally get on my computer. There's a wifi for free about two blocks away from me parallel that I'm trying to pick up.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Anyone use it? I downloaded Wififofum and added what I would normally get on my computer. There's a wifi for free about two blocks away from me parallel that I'm trying to pick up.

They generally don't work unless the program actually causes the phone to pump more battery into the radio. You need physical hardware to repeat the signal. In addition, 2 blocks is really far away (unless this free wifi is a college or something with multiple routers/repeaters/etc)

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
You know what, I'm not even sure it has multiple routers. I doubt it though. It's a laundromat, pretty large, but doubt multiple routers. Darn.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
You know what, I'm not even sure it has multiple routers. I doubt it though. It's a laundromat, pretty large, but doubt multiple routers. Darn.

2 blocks is extremely far for a residential level Internet. You need hardware to extend/boost the signal

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I know there is a tweak on Cydia that improves the distance you are able to connect and maintain Wifi. It does not pump more power to the antenna, but it does remove an artificial limit that Apple has placed in the software that is intended to give you better quality connection.

WiFi booster, I think it was called, and it was free.

But i don't think its gonna help you get two blocks away wifi :)

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
I know there is a tweak on Cydia that improves the distance you are able to connect and maintain Wifi. It does not pump more power to the antenna, but it does remove an artificial limit that Apple has placed in the software that is intended to give you better quality connection.

WiFi booster, I think it was called, and it was free.

But i don't think its gonna help you get two blocks away wifi :)

WiFi Booster does this. It's not free (1.99) and works pretty well. I can see a lot more WiFi networks with it installed because it removes the signal level limit.

OP might want to try it. If the network he's trying to reach is strong enough, it might work.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Lol. I do live by the laundromat. Two blocks seems close enough. Anyway that was the app I was originally talking about called Wifi Booster.. I think Ill just end up buying a mifi or switching to the unlimited $70 plan and use tether me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.