WiFi call...like Microcell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Sep 25, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

Is WiFi calling sort of like using a Microcell with Att or Verizon? How reliable is WiFi calling? How fast does the connection need to be? When you leave the WiFi zone I assume the call drops even if you have some network coverage?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

In theory, it's just like using your microcell. If you leave a WiFi coverage area your call should switch to cellular. In theory. It seems to work well on T-Mo, but is not yet available on AT&T.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. Can you use it anywhere you have WiFi? Or just where you are set up to use it like with an Att Microcell? (On T Mo)

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

T mobile wifi calling has worked for me very well anywhere I'm on wifi. My continuity call feature for my mac's also works with this enabled.

5. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

6. anish3232 macrumors member

WiFi calling is available on AT&T and has been for the past 2-3 weeks now

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have been using the AT&T version as part of the trial. A few points:
    When active, it works and sounds like a normal cell call. Not like a HDVoice call if you have heard that.
    WiFi calling is only active when the cell signal is very low or not at all. Leaving wifi to go to cell depends on cell coverage outside of wifi coverage. If cell coverage stinks after leaving wifi coverage the call will drop for that reason. Otherwise, I have completed my wifi calls prior to going anywhere. I used a Microcell a few years back as a trial service and would say wifi calling is better for me in that I have more consistent wifi coverage compared to the limited coverage area of a microcell.

8. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

what abt receiving calls. can you receive calls thru the wifi signal

9. chevman macrumors member

Yes, when you have wi-fi calling enabled, it's no different than being connected to the cell network directly. You place and receive calls exactly the same as when you're just connected to a cell tower. Essentially you're connecting to the carrier's VOIP/SIP gateway over the internet, as opposed to their cellular network.

We have wifi calling enabled on an iPhone 6 (t-mobile), and while at home it always uses my home wi-fi network. When leaving the house, if I'm on a call, it switches over to the cellular connection with no interruption once I'm out of range of my home wi-fi.

10. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

11. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I wonder why AT&T needs FCC approval to turn on WiFi calling because of this RTT/TTY issue. Surely people who use TTYs can just TURN OFF WiFI calling and still use it? Why does this OPTIONAL technology require extra FCC approval? Hell, TTYs are nearly obsolete as it is.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Having used a microcell for several years now I can tell you it is much better than living in an area where the actually cellular tower connectivity it weak or poor. The call quality is very good, better than cellular but not as good as Facetime Audio which is better than almost anything for call quality (Assuming both parties have ios devices)

Moving from the MCELL to a cell tower, the call with transfer out fine, but calls can never transfer BACK to the MCELL, hopefully, wifi calling will resolve that issue.

Haven't been able to try HD voice (is that VOLte?) but I'll be in NYC next week and will give it a try

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Good question. Why does the FCC require this and in turn delay a feature many could be using today to increase their satisfaction with the provider. I'm sure AT&T is ready to go but just can't yet.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I THINK that it is an E911 issue, since the tower data may not be available, the WIFI location or phone location data needs to be available for E911 calls

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

VoLTE is the technology HDVoice uses to work. They are two different things.