Wifi Calling and Texting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gosabres1984, Jul 17, 2010.

1. gosabres1984 macrumors regular

Hey all,

So does making and receiving calls and text messages over a wifi network really work if I have No Service?

If so, are they really free, or are there hidden catches? If anyone can help, please tell me which apps are the best and what I should expect...

Thanks.

2. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

you cant do calls or texts over wifi, probably never will be able to either

3. gosabres1984 thread starter macrumors regular

So all these apps on the app store like Skype, iCall and TextPlus lie when they say you can?

4. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

o well them, obviously they'll work like advertised. i thought you might be talking about the regular phone app and messages. sorry. they should be free, besides the cost of the app.

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Skype to skype is free. Skype to anything else costs money. You have to buy "credits".

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Skype to skype will eventually be paid too, they were already supposed to implement that change but pushed it back. fwiw.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Those don't work over your cell phone service because they're not cellular services. They aren't lying, you're just not understanding what they are.

8. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

Whistle is a good wi-fi VOIP service.
    You just have to listen to a short ad before the call.

9. gazzer82 macrumors regular

I really wish apple would implement UMA functions in there phones. So often i am in places that have little to no phone reception and lovely high speed broadband, but it is no use to me whatsoever on my iPhone. However my colleagues on there blackberries are chatting away with no problems!

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should think about picking up a microcell from AT&T. It's only $150/no monthly fee. It would hook up to your Internet and essentially be like "wifi" so your messages would go through.

11. Ndalal macrumors newbie

Set up a sipgate account which allows you to receive free incoming calls. Dl fring and set it up with your sipgate account. Sign up for google voice. Have gv forward yor calls to you sipgate #. Go to https://www.google.com/voice/m/ , which is the older version , not https://www.google.com/voice/m?dc=gorganic , and place your call. Gv will ring your sipgate # via fring and call takes place over wifi.
    For texts go to gvmax.com

12. MrDelux24 macrumors newbie

So for iCall.

If im on a wifi network and I call a landline or a cell phone. Will I be charged?