Wifi calling don't work when I travel to Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marine0816, Aug 14, 2015.

1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I'm really confused about this wifi calling. I have an iPhone 6 Plus from Sprint. I just arrived in Canada and I was under the impression that I can make calls back to the USA for free by just using wifi.. My phone just says "no service" with the wifi logo and will not dial numbers. Am I missing something? Thank you

2. Akack macrumors 6502a

Do you have the wifi calling toggle turned on? ( under phone > wifi calls > allow wifi calls )

If you do, would call Sprint for assistance.

3. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure if sprint allows international wifi calls.
    I know T-Mobile does.

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you because everything I'm reading suggests that it should work. As long as you have iOS 8.3 and carrier version 19.1. If you have those or higher you would probably need to contact sprint to find out why it's not working.

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...lling/173e331f-8423-453e-93cb-4688f6a91f67#!/

6. nordique macrumors 6502a

Are you able to use whatsapp? I use that to communicate with my friends in the USA via WiFi

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

As in make calls (and to regular numbers)?

8. nordique macrumors 6502a

That is how it has worked for me, yes - my friend only has a cell phone number (an no iPhone)...however the limiting factor I believe would be the other person would need whatsapp. I haven't tried it with people who don't have the app but if others have it, it should work for WiFi calling.

9. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

You can make wifi calls using Google Voice via the Hangouts app, can call any number back home including land lines. May be too late for this trip though if you don't already have a Google Voice number.