Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
I installed the current IOS 9.0 Public beta 13A4325c and I do not have the option for WIFI calling. I do have Dial Assist but that is the opposite of WIFI calling. Am I missing something?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It's only on iPhone 5c, 5s, 6, and 6 Plus

You also need to be on either T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, or EE as your carrier.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I installed the current IOS 9.0 Public beta 13A4325c and I do not have the option for WIFI calling. I do have Dial Assist but that is the opposite of WIFI calling. Am I missing something?
What device and what carrier do you have?

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
What device and what carrier do you have?
I have an iPhone 5s and AT&T is my carrier. I know that AT&T is not supporting WIFI calling yet - but I would think that I would still have the option to turn the feature ON?

Nvm

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an iPhone 5s and AT&T is my carrier. I know that AT&T is not supporting WIFI calling yet - but I would think that I would still have the option to turn the feature ON?

Nvm
Why would you have the option if the carrier doesn't support it?

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
Why would you have the option if the carrier doesn't support it?
I do not think that you fully understand my question. We all agree that AT&T does not currently support WIFI calling. But the option should be available to turn the feature ON. And if the feature is not yet available you should receive a message, as mention by an earlier post, telling you that it has not been implemented.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I do not think that you fully understand my question. We all agree that AT&T does not currently support WIFI calling. But the option should be available to turn the feature ON. And if the feature is not yet available you should receive a message, as mention by an earlier post, telling you that it has not been implemented.
Carrier options don't usually work that way. Generally when a carrier supports something then the option is available, otherwise it's usually not there. In the case of the recent iOS 9 beta they added it, but it doesn't do anything, so it doesn't seem to be of much use, and for general users it would likely cause confusion and perhaps some issues on some level as they would think something isn't working for them and start tying up lines with customer care to figure out why that's the case or when it would be finally working (as opposed to not even seeing the option and not realizing that it's something that could be available to them at some point).

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Carrier options don't usually work that way. Generally when a carrier supports something then the option is available, otherwise it's usually not there. In the case of the recent iOS 9 beta they added it, but it doesn't do anything, so it doesn't seem to be of much use, and for general users it would likely cause confusion and perhaps some issues on some level as they would think something isn't working for them and start tying up lines with customer care to figure out why that's the case or when it would be finally working (as opposed to not even seeing the option and not realizing that it's something that could be available to them at some point).

So why he is not seeing it when his devices supports the feature and he's on the correct carrier + there are other people seeing it on the same device. Of course it's not actually working yet, but that's irrelevant.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
What I'm curious about is why an update was required for this to work with AT&T.. We've been hoping Rogers here in Canada would have rolled it out by now and this entire time I thought Rogers just needed to get their **** together with stuff on the backend and roll out a new carrier settings update with the server settings..

I guess the chance of additional carriers supporting wifi calling is less likely.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
What I'm curious about is why an update was required for this to work with AT&T.. We've been hoping Rogers here in Canada would have rolled it out by now and this entire time I thought Rogers just needed to get their **** together with stuff on the backend and roll out a new carrier settings update with the server settings..

I guess the chance of additional carriers supporting wifi calling is less likely.

Because the toggle for it needed to be added for it and I guess that's on Apple.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why is the iPhone 5 not included in the list? The 5C is essentially the same hardware as the 5 in a different case.
One of the few differences is related to the radio chip used with 5c using a newer one that also supports make bands. (Might be related to cellular via WiFi functionality in some way.)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I know that it's there in the recent beta, but since it's not enabled it kind of makes the option useless really.
It maybe pointless but it hasn't been there for ANYONE on AT&T before. The understanding is that it will finally be available if your area supports it (apparently it's trivial for networks to add support).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.