WiFi Calling Power Savings

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hypno, Sep 23, 2014.

1. hypno macrumors regular

My iPhone 6 Plus tears through battery pretty fast compared to recent phone like my Note 3 or LG G3. I'd say about half as good so far. I could regularly go 24 hours without having to charge these devices - sometimes 36 hours - however the iPhone 6 Plus is more like 12 hours.

One thing I am curious about is it appears a difference betwen Android and iOS WiFi calling is my Android devices actually disable the LTE modem. However, on iOS I still see the signal moving between 1-2 bars, etc. It replaces LTE/4G with WiFi, but the bars aren't "disabled" like they are on Android. Does iOS not disable this? More importantly are there not any power savings advantage to WiFi calling if so?

Where I live / work, the T-Mobile signal can be weak and rotate between Edge, 4G, and 4G LTE...it seems to me the low signal is the only thing that could be draining the battery so much as otherwise my usage characteristics have been similar to the above devices.

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I think the phone is still searching for a cell signal even if WiFi calling is on/activated. Probably so that the transition, should you move out of range is seamless. I've started putting my phone in airplane mode w/ WiFi when I'm at work or at home. That's helped w/ battery.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You're still able to make/receive calls and text this way?

4. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    :)
    Yes -isn't that it is calling Wi-fi calling? :confused:

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes, but is it enabled on all carriers? Also, does it actually work?

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Ah, it is carrier specific I believe. You'd have to check with whichever carrier you use. :)

I'm on T-Mobile and can confirm that, yes, wi-if calling does indeed work. Nicely too.

7. Orlandoech, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I am on T-Mobile too, I just wasnt sure if AT$T or Verizon enabled it, but I don't think they have.

8. hypno thread starter macrumors regular

This makes sense. I suppose the transition wouldn't work without it functioning this way.

Airplane mode with WiFi enabled makes sense. I've been away from iOS for awhile, but I take it there isn't any type of app where I could automate this? The only two networks I'd really be concerned about this are work and home, and it would be nice to automate Airplane mode on, WiFi on when I join these networks (of course Airplane off when I disconnect). I'm guessing this is not possible..

9. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it's because of wi-fi calling, but after upgrading to iOS 8, I have noticed a reduction in the power drain with my phone on standby. The standby power drain was actually something that I thought got worse after installing iOS 7.1.

10. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Yep. With TMobile. It's why I switched.

----------

I don't think so. I don't know of any way at least. But it takes a flick and a tap to turn it all on/off.

11. hypno thread starter macrumors regular

Airplance mode with WiFi is making a huge difference today. 2-3x improvement in battery drain.

Is this something an extension could do perhaps? i.e. thinking a toggle in notification panel to enable airplane and then enable wifi and bluetooth with one click.

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

There's no extension needed. Just flick up the control panel, tap Airplane/WiFi/BT or whatever you'd need.