wifi calling with AT&T for iOS 9 on iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by ghanwani, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I just tried to enable wifi calling on iOS 9 on my iPhone 5s with AT&T, but it looks like the setting for enabling it does not exist.

Any ideas if this is expected to become available? If not I may be forced to switch to T-mobile because I have very poor reception at home and was hoping iOS 9 would help address that.

Are folks with iPhone 6/6+/6S/6S+ able to enable wifi calling on AT&T?

2. jallenclark macrumors regular

I tried with a 6 plus and it told me that it is not available in my area.

3. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

My wife's 6+ had the option, and it was enabled no problem. My 5S doesn't have the option. If I remember right I think I read that AT&T is only enabling wifi calling for iPhone 6/6+ and up.

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I read now too on googling, but it's not clear why they would do that.

5. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

My guess would be so that you'll buy a new phone. They only have voice over LTE on the 6 and up too.

6. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

No good. If I upgrade to a new phone now, it will be the shortest time that I have ever owned a phone (aside from losing it). I kept my iPhone 4 for 3 years and was hoping to repeat that with the 5s.

7. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Yeah it's definitely some BS. T-Mo has both features on iPhone 5 and up I believe. I don't have much of an interest in upgrading until they come out with an updated 4" iPhone. Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens :(

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Your guess would be incorrect. The Wifi calling service from AT&T is currently just a trial. The only phones getting the service during the trial are phones that can use VoLTE since this is needed for proper handoff to the network. Once the service rolls out I assume more phones will be able to use the service.

9. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Oh ok I had never considered that. Do you know why AT&T doesn't support VOLTE on the 5/5C/5S?

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

They would but Apple did not build the capability in until the 6 and 6 Plus.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203078

11. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I wonder how then T mobile uses wifi calling for iPhone 5 and up without VoLTE.

12. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

VoLTE is not required for WiFi calling, its only required for smooth handoff and at the moment a requirement to participate in the AT&T trial.

13. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Oh gotcha. Just count of curiosity how do you know this? Seems like useful information to have! Do you know if/when the trial is up we will see wifi calling with a carrier update on older iPhones?

14. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Too much reading and retaining of information. In place of TV I spend my "extra" time reading and it has been written about in tech articles at different times. I don't know when it will be finished with the trial. I just was able to make it work on my 6 plus after putting in a ticket to ask for an account change.

15. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

they don't.
    Tmobile doesn't support iPhone 5 with WiFi calling.
    they support 5c and 5s which has different hardware

16. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

5C and 5 are the same phone so....

Looks like it was available for iPhone 5 in early iOS 8 betas, but support was dropped for some reason before official iOS 8 release.

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Same here. IMG_8249.jpg

18. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

Nope.
    5c and 5 are different phones. they share a lot of similar hardware but not all.
    hence why wifi calling can work on 5c but NOT 5.

19. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

The only difference is cellular bands... Maybe I'm just uninformed, but I don't understand how that would have any effect whatsoever on wifi calling. Do explain...

EDIT: also, wifi calling DID work on iPhone 5 in early iOS 8 betas, so we know it works.

20. Pspressart macrumors regular

I just got a text thanking me for being in the Wi-Fi Calling Beta Trial. It goes on to say the commercial version of the operating system is available and has fixes to address issues, etc.
    I am on the 9.1 public beta, and it is still working for me.

21. nephipower macrumors newbie

I just updated my wife's iPhone 5S and it does not have the option to enable it either. I was expecting to see it since I got the option on my iPhone 6. According to this Apple site the 5S should definitely support wifi calling.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

22. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

6+ iphone. Crud, doesnt work in my area either. Was one of two reasons I decided to upgrade to ios 9 and lose my jailbreak.
    AT&T SUCKS. You can't provide a darn map of where it works or not???

23. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It most likely works in your area but the provisioning has not been done on your specific account. It was the same for me but via chat and a little time I had that fixed. I explained that I wanted Wifi calling and that I had access to the correct hardware and I am in an area with VoLTE which is a current requirement to participate in the trial. Try a chat with AT&T and if they do not follow, simply try again. Its a trial service so maybe not all agents are aware of the details yet.

24. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

VoLTE actually is/was not a requirement... I'm in an area that does not have it and activated just fine back in the PB...