Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeasgoodNonsuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2015
Shaker Heights, Ohio
So last night for the first time I see Wi-Fi next to my AT&T and Wi-Fi logo at the top of the screen and I assume that means that Wi-Fi calling is working but it soon disappeared after about an hr and now I haven't seen it again. I am curious how well WiFi calling is working for everybody and if anybody else has seen this Wi-Fi.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
Mine is enabled on my phone, and it's active here in Phoenix, but I've yet to see the indicator at the top of my phone. Not a biggie for me, I guess, since I only ever use about 20 talk minutes a month.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Works great in Houston.

I believe wifi calling is only enabled when you lose signal...?

I've put my iP6S in airplane mode to force wifi calls, and they've been excellent so far. YMMV

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
Works great in Houston.

I believe WiFi calling is only enabled when you lose signal...?

I've put my iP6S in airplane mode to force WiFi calls, and they've been excellent so far. YMMV

I see it at home - I guess my receipted was not as good as I thought. Are regular "cellular" calling rules and charges applicable or is it more like Facetime Audio in that it's free?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
if you're not in a VoLTE area, it will drop when coming into and leaving WiFi service area.
I am in VoLTE area and it still drops calls. Apple needs to add "Wi-Fi Preferred" and "Cellular Preferred" options like on Windows Phone. I only want Wi-Fi Calling when cellular is not available.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I see it at home - I guess my receipted was not as good as I thought. Are regular "cellular" calling rules and charges applicable or is it more like Facetime Audio in that it's free?

It is free on AT&T, here is the relevant information and a link to the AT&T Wi-Fi content:

Calling

• Make and receive unlimited domestic calls within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands at no additional charge.
• International long distance rates apply for calls made to international numbers.

Texting

• Text messages sent or received using Wi-Fi Calling are counted and charged under your existing rate plan.

Note: Wi-Fi Calling is available only when calling or texting from the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands at this time.

Source link: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html

Dave

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I think you will have wifi calling active or not depending on your reception at the moment. If your reception improves it can revert back to cellular calling

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I think you will have wifi calling active or not depending on your reception at the moment. If your reception improves it can revert back to cellular calling

You can also activate Wi-Fi calling by going to Airplane mode and then enabling WiFi and you are going to have Wi-Fi calling as long as your WiFi meets the support requirements.

Dave

th3r3ds0x

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
I have a 6s+ and my wife has a 6. I see the wifi logo on mine but I haven't seen it on hers. She is usually showing 2 bars of signal while I typically show 1 (Our signal at the house is very poor). I am assuming that because she shows better reception that her phone isn't switching to wifi. It's works great though. I've unplugged my 3GMicroCell and hope to never use it again. (it sucks!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.