WiFi Card/Connection Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mav2k11, Jan 8, 2015.

1. mav2k11 macrumors newbie

mav2k11

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help as this issue is driving me mad!!

I have a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512mb, Yosemite.

My WiFi connection started dropping out every so often which required a restart to fix, the wifi logo simply shows and empty logo (no lines) and will not turn on.

I thought as I had performed a couple of OS upgrades over the years that it may need a clean install, so I format the hdd and installed Yosemite from scratch.

To my dismay this did not help any, and my connection keeps crashing out, sometimes after 20 mins or more and sometimes after only a few minutes.

Now all my other computers/devices work fine with no connection issues so I assume the router is not the cause here.

My router is placed in the living room and is around 2 meters from my MacBook Pro.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

----------

It actually dropped out as I hit submit there, I had to connect via an ethernet cable to submit.

Forgot to say, when the connection drops out the wifi icon does not look offline (empty of lines) immediatley, it takes a while and sometimes it still shows as if there is a connection until you click on the icon and then it shows no networks available but it still says wifi is on, which I assume it cannot be?

2. mav2k11 thread starter macrumors newbie

mav2k11

UPDATE

It turns out the airport wifi card is defective and requires replacement.