Wifi card in mac pro not working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nitro1, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I just got a new Wifi card for my mac pro and it is not working. We installed it and attempted to find drivers nothing could be found. I then tried to turn off the computer and restart still nothing. It shows that it is there and ready to go but it can not find the network that we have in the house. It found it the first time and would not connect with the password and now it can not even find it. So is it a bad card or do i need to do something i may have missed.

If no one has any idea's i might take it to the apple store or just buy an express but the built in card would be easier.

thanks all and i really hope i can get this figured out ASAP.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

are you sure it's the right card? They all come with a disk to install the necessary software.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's the model number of the adapter you bought?

Does it show up in System Profiler?

In any case, the drivers are already built into OS X, so either it should work (assuming you bought the right adapter) or the adapter is DOA.

It may not matter, but I don't recall there being a 2.88GHz Mac Pro, so you might want to check if that's correct.

4. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was able to find a solution on the internet. I did not have an instructions with the product when it came so i did not know to connect the two antenna's to the card. So now that that has been done the card works great. Sorry for the page when i just missed a step.

Thanks all

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

glad you got it hooked up and working. Did you have any problems getting the antenna leads connected? Those are always a real pain!

7. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it took about 10 minutes to get them both on there and working properly. I was unsure if they had to snap or just kind of stick the only manual I found for doing this said to not force them well in reality you kind of have to to get then on all the way.

But it is working great now turned it back on and away it went flying like crazy. So happy I got it figured out.

Again thanks all

8. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes there was a 2.88ghz model. It was 2008 and I think it was the mid or high range upgrade. I am unsure, but this is how I bought it used. But I remeber seeing it on the store for apple.

9. 21ce macrumors member

Does the actual mac pro enclosure cause any reception issues? With it being made out of metal and all?

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

reception isn't great like on a white macbook, but if you have a good wireless router the reception is fair enough for the most part.

11. 21ce macrumors member

I see, thanks for the response

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Works fine for me, and my reception goes through a bunch of walls.