WiFi connection drops after exactly 10 minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueharvester, Sep 25, 2008.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

As in the title, the wifi connection seems to drop on my iPhone exactly minutes after first connecting. The wifi symbol still appears at the top of the screen but there is no connection. I have to manually go into Settings and turn wireless off then on again.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

What have you got your fetch schedule set to?

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Is this on all networks, or just one specific one? Also, does this happen with any other wirless devices? It is possible that if you are using it at a network that isn't yours they could have the router set up to only allow a client 10 minutes before stopping data transfer (forcing you to renew the session by disconnecting and reconnecting.)

4. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I have fetch turned off.

5. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I have only connected to my home wireless network so I'm not sure if it's happening on other wireless networks. I have multiple PCs connecting to this network and there isn't a problem. This issue has only happened since upgrading to 2.1 I think.

6. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still having this problem! Now my wife has an iPhone and she is experiencing the problem also. It seems to be the router that is causing the issue because when we connect the iPhones to other wifi networks the connection does not drop after 10 minutes.

As I said above, we have other laptops that are connecting wirelessly to this router with no problems. It just seems to be the iPhones. Any ideas? The router I'm using is a DrayTek Vigor 2800 ADSL2/2+.

7. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I had this exact problem in a hotel room for 3 days before I figured out what was causing it (it went out after exactly 15 minutes, not 10, for me). It was one of the routers. The setup they had was this: one ethernet cord led from the modem to the first router. From this router one ethernet channel led to the wireless router, and another channel led to a base station that was there to provide internet to those without wifi enabled computers, and only ethernet. This is a weird setup they had I know, but you should have seen the ghetto wireless router they had. Unplugging the base station from the first router got me internet back with 0 drop outs afterwards for 3 more days. I later talked to the guy at the front desk, this was at the Westin in St. John btw, and he said many people had had this problem with other wifi enabled smartphones, and couldn't figure it out.

Also, the way I was dealing with it before I found the problem was to reset the DHCP lease.

8. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I reckon that this problem has more to do with an issue in iPhone 2.1 firmware rather than an issue in the router. Hopefully this will be resolved with 2.2 version of the software.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, my touch never lost my home WiFi connection until the latest releases.

Now, after x minutes of not being used, it pops up with "not connected" most of the time.

Sometimes I can just hit the browser reload a couple of times and get back connected. Sometimes I have to go into Settings and click on my network again (even though it says it's connected).

Previous to this summer, I had no browser crashes and the network was rock solid. It was very impressive compared to my WM devices. Now the solidness impression goes the other way.

Hope Apple clears it up again.

10. twist2b macrumors regular

Yeah its always the router. Some routers like "re-set" or something like that. Laptops can handle this fast, but little devices sometimes have to be 100% reset. if your HOME router is having this trouble might as well get a better router or see if you can get this fixed. I have a buffalo ONLY router I have ever loved super grande. Works so well, and you can have like 10 diff devices using the router without probs.

11. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I think my router is fine as the iPhone was not dropping its connection prior to the 2.1 software update. I also had an iPod touch before this and never had a problem.

12. daisuke07 macrumors regular

13. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I think the majority of users won't experience this problem.

14. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Considering you can connect to other wireless networks with no problems, and considering I had the same exact problem and found out it was the router, I think you can stop blaming the iPhone and start blaming the router.

It seems as if your router can't handle multiple connections well, seeing as you have multiple connections on yours (e.g. other computers) and also considering the router I found at fault was fixed by reducing the connections by 1.

One more thing, the iPhone may be at fault for not reestablishing connection the same way a computer does after being cut off without losing a DHCP lease. Perhaps this ability will be added in the future, but it is certainly a minor fault considering the circumstances are unusual.

15. firewood macrumors 604

When you got your iPhone, you could have ended up with one more connection than your router was configured to handle (DHCP or whatever). It could be periodically dropping one device or computer to pick up another (perhaps a neighbor using your bandwidth?).

Try rebooting your router, changing the admin/WEP/WPA passwords, and checking the rest of its configuration, including number of clients allowed.

16. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

My router is setup to handle 50 connections. I've tried rebooting the router. It's already using WPA2 for security so there's no way (or very little chance) a neighbour could be using bandwith.

I think the blame lies with both router and iPhone. Just not sure how to remedy it on the router!

17. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I'd let you all know that I finally got this issue sorted!!

My router was using mixed mode 11b & 11g wireless. So I changed it to use only 11g and this seemed to do the trick! So, there must have been something in the 2.1 release of the iPhone firmware that doesn't like mixed mode I guess.