WiFi Connection Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yofi, May 25, 2009.

1. Yofi macrumors member

Hi,

So the situation is that I'm back at my dad's place for the summer and I'm trying to connect to his house's wireless connection on my MacBook. It seems to connect okay when I type in our 10-digit password next to "WEP 40/128-bit hex" in the drop-down menu, but then even with full signal bars, it loads browser pages VERY slowly if ever, usually just giving me a timeout error, and it's the same thing across all programs, my instant messenger takes forever to connect, WoW takes forever to connect, if ever…basically the internet I get from this connection is useless.

It's odd because both my sisters have MacBooks and the internet works fine for them at my dad's house when they connect, and MY internet on my computer works perfectly when I'm using any WiFi but this one. By the way, the transmitter is a "D-Link 514 2.4GHz Wireless Router" and we're connected to cable internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated…I'm pulling my hair out not being able to connect! Thanks!

Update:
    * I have tried resetting the router and that didn't help.
    * I have tried changing the channel, authentication method and password and that didn't help.
    * I tried a DNS troubleshooting guide and it doesn't appear to be a problem with that.

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

It sounds like it is sending packets of information slow. See what other settings you can change on the router besides the channel. For mine you go into advanced wireless settings where you can change the beacon interval (how fast it sends packets in mS), Fragmentation threshold, etc.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

4. Yofi thread starter macrumors member

At most two others, my two sisters. The problem persists even when I'm the only one using my computer.

Regarding how fast the router is sending packets, I might consider messing with that but it might not make sense considering that my sisters' computers receive information just fine. I get the sense that it's more a problem of the interaction between my computer and the router than bad settings on the router itself, but I totally don't know what I'm doing. :confused:

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Are the other 2 computers showing any problems?

What is the "DNS troubleshooting guide you used"? Did it advise you to use a different DNS server(s)?

6. Yofi thread starter macrumors member

Nope, my sisters' computers work just fine, completely normally. Which is very frustrating, 'cause they totally don't care that mine is having problems, they're A-okay! :mad:

The DNS thing I was looking at was this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1843?viewlocale=en_US

I'm a complete novice to all this stuff but the direct links like http://17.149.160.49 loaded extremely slowly just like normal web links, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

THANKS for helping me try to sort this out, I've posted this a few places and you guys are the only responses, I really appreciate it!

7. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Are they also connecting via wi-fi?

What sort of signal is it? a/b/g/n?

Do a speed test and see what you get

8. Yofi thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I forgot I had posted this here. :)

Yup, they are both connecting by WiFi with no problems.

I don't know what kind of signal you mean. :confused:

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Off topic, but I'd advise switching to WPA or WPA2 encryption on the wireless network, since WEP can be cracked in less than 2 minutes.

10. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

haha, I also forgot I posted here

Is the wi-fi signal a/b/g/n?

Did you try other DNS servers?