Wifi connection keeps cutting out. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdamK11, Apr 21, 2012.

1. AdamK11 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask if this was a common problem.

I updated to iOS 5.1 the day it got released and quickly realised that my wifi kept cutting out, usually after I had locked the phone and started using it again. I didn't think much of it but it kept happening. Most commonly, I would go to work, use the 3g then when coming home it would connect automatically to the wifi and it would show that its connected but wouldn't load any pages. A week or so later, my lock button decided to cave in so I was given a new iPhone by the apple store but the problem still exists. My wifi works fine on my macbook and the 3-4 other laptops we have around the house, its just my iPhone it seem. The problem is still going on now.

Basically my iPhone shows that its connected to wifi but if I go to safari to browse, it doesnt load anything. The only way I can fix it is by going to settings and turning wifi on then off and this usually works for around 10 minutes before it happens again.

Any suggestions? I have the iPhone 4S. Ive tried 'forgetting the network' and re-entering my password for the wifi, tried a hard turn on and off, of the iphone. Any other suggestions and is anyone else having this problem?

its driving me crazy :(

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you try restarting the router?
    Maybe its a compatibility issue with your iphone and the particular router.
    Try connecting to other wifi's and see if it works ok or does the same to other ones too.
    If its just to that particular router then try updating your routers firmware.

3. AdamK11, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

AdamK11 thread starter macrumors newbie

My wifi connection to my iPhone used to be fine before, no issues until after I updated to 5.1, that's why I find it weird. I'll look into the firmware updating side and see if there's anything available.

I restarted my livebox yesterday and it was working fine all day but today it went back to cutting out. I just checked online for any updates and its up to date

Just looking at the IP address on the iPhone for my network and it seems to be different from the one showing in my livebox configuration.. :S

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, happens when they update firmware and device drivers on the iphone.
    Sometimes the updated iphone firmware dont play nice with every router out there.

5. AdamK11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a list of all the devices connected to my wifi and an option to remove it.

My iPhone is listed there with its bluetooth number, which i checked through Settings > About

On my livebox settings the ending number is 55 but on my iPhone its 56. Should i remove the iPhone from the list and try that? I just dont want to remove it and then it doesn't let me connect it back on.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, so its connecting to your router using bluetooth?
    Maybe try turning off BT so its connects with its wifi instead.

7. AdamK11 thread starter macrumors newbie

No no, it is through WiFi but it identifies it through its Bluetooth number. No idea why.

EDIT - double checked, its actually the 'Wifi Address' number it was displaying, sorry.

8. AdamK11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Removed it from the list and re-connected. Still no difference :(