Wifi Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ihasacute, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ihasacute macrumors newbie

Let me preemptively state that I know very little about computers. This problem is most likely easy to fix, but I wouldn't know where to start.

We have wireless internet here in my house, and my MacBook will not connect to it. It's a Netgear router, and my Mac tells me I need a password to connect to it. We don't have a password set on our router. So, every time it tries to connect, it says that an error occurred. How do I get rid of this password thing? I just want to use the Wifi!

2. Michael O'Neill macrumors newbie

Hi ihasacute,

OK. I'm going to speculate a bit here. I'm guessing you never set up your netgear wireless. If that's the case, you're likely running the default setup.

You can try using "password" as the password for your wireless network and see if that works.

But really, I'd log in to the netgear router itself (default login for many netgear devices is usually "admin" and "password". From there, you'll want to specify your wireless network name (ssid) and password that all your wireless devices will use if they want to access your network. You can find default passwords for many wireless devices here: http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

If you tell me the model number of your wireless router, I may be able to give you more specifics on how to log in to your router, set your password, etc...

-Michael