Wifi connection to Mac using Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjdavids2123, Apr 5, 2013.

1. pjdavids2123 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am a real novice but have spent a lot of time looking at this stuff and am completely baffled--it seems solvable though.
    I am studying abroad in Europe and my dorm room comes equipped with ethernet. As part of my orientation materials I got a packet with my internet info (i.p. address range, subnet mask, router i.p., DNS servers, and search domains). Since I wasn't able to connect to the internet using DHCP I just plugged all this info in manually. This worked great, my internet is fast and reliable.
    The problem comes when I try internet sharing with my iPhone; it has no problem finding the network and even connecting to it, but I can't access the internet (it just times out after a while). This problem occurs using DHCP or a static i.p. on the iPhone. My thinking is that I could get on using a static i.p. if I only knew what addresses to use.
    Any ideas or pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Where you are studying, the Ukraine? Who use static IP in 2013? :rolleyes:

Am going to guess what u missing is the GATEWAY parameter. Gateway = to get to the Internet, go through this door. If this is the case, you can ping nearby devices (same subnet) but unable to ping anybody on the Internet.

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

You might have better luck posting this in the Mac subforum - it seems to me that this is most likely an issue with the Internet sharing settings on the Mac.

4. pjdavids2123 thread starter macrumors newbie

@KeepCalmPeople--Thanks a bunch, I just posted it there too.

@Mrbobb--The whole static IP thing seemed weird to me too... any idea how/where i would enter the gateway parameter if I could somehow track it down?