Wifi connection with 4.1 beta 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tonyau, Oct 10, 2017.

1. tonyau macrumors member

tonyau

Been playing around with 4.1 beta 2 on Apple Watch S03
    As far as I know, if the watch is not able to connect to the phone via bluetooth, it will then connect to the phone via wifi. So I figured that if the watch can't connect to the phone at all (its switched off or out of range) it will then connect to wifi (2.4ghz) and display the SSID. That's not happening for me. If I am out of range of the phone at home the watch just shows the little red X, and will not connect to Wifi. If I disconnect bluetooth the same happens and I get disconnected from wifi altogether and little red X is displayed. Even when connected to the phone and out of bluetooth range I still do not see the SSID – I thought that it would.

Anyone have similar experiences?

2. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Someone mentioned in another thread that this feature only works with LTE models. It would be nice if it worked on all models.

3. tonyau thread starter macrumors member

tonyau

The watch is the LTE model, which is why I don’t understand that it’s not working. I remember with my last s0 watch when it didn’t connect to the phone it showed a cloud which I think signified that it was connected to iCloud via wifi. I could be wrong though.

4. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

nope. the cloud means it is connected to the phone via wifi. phone needs to be alive and connected to the same wifi as the watch.

5. tonyau thread starter macrumors member

tonyau

Okay, thanks for that. The new os doesn’t display the cloud now. I’m still no clearer regarding my original issue.

6. tonyau thread starter macrumors member

tonyau

I have got a bit closer- my modem/router is connected to Apple xtreme and an asus router both in bridged mode and using the same ssid. When I switch the phone off the watch should connect to wifi but it doesn’t. I enabled wifi on the modem/router and the watch did connect to that and displayed the ssid. For some reason it won’t connect to the existing setup.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

That’s not true. The cloud means it is connected to a WiFi network that it had been previously connected to. I could leave my phone at home and go to a friends house that I had been to before, and my watch worked fine for WiFi calling and messages. And that’s with a S0 watch.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    Try unpairing and repairing your watch. I had this problem with my S0 a while back. It wouldn’t connect to WiFi when away from the phone. The repairing solved it immediately.

8. lenard macrumors 6502

Do have a 2.4ghz network and not just 5ghz...

9. darrinS macrumors 6502

darrinS

Where do you see the ssid?

10. tonyau thread starter macrumors member

tonyau

It’s at the top of the watch face above the icons...where you see the icon of the phone on the left hand side.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    Yes, and what I found is if I set up 2.4 separately the watch will connect.

11. darrinS macrumors 6502

darrinS

Thanks!

12. mitchellsx macrumors newbie

Are you still having this issue? I’ve got the same problem, my Apple Watch used to connected to the cloud wifi when I was at work or at the gym. Now it doesn’t connect at all and just displays red dot

13. tonyau thread starter macrumors member

tonyau

Yeah, it’s very inconsistent.
    Red dot? I get a Red Cross.

14. mitchellsx macrumors newbie

Lol yeah I meant Red Cross don’t no why I put dot

15. mitchellsx macrumors newbie

still having the same issue on beta 3, Just tried my friends apple watch who is just on 4.0 and it worked fine, connected the are works cloud wifi without the wifi being there!

16. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

This doesn’t work for me. I’m on a S2 watch with 4.1 beta 3. It didn’t work on the official OS4 release or the prior latest OS3 release. My iPhone is connected to my 2.4 ghz network, not the 5ghz. Anytime I turn bluetooth off the watch does not join the wifi network. It's very frustrating. I've re-paired the watch several times already.

17. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

Just as a test. Disable your WiFi security for a few minutes and repeat your testing.