wifi connects but no internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by manhattanmania, Feb 13, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

hi all,

im pretty sure my touch has a wifi problem. it's always connecting to wifi networks just fine but then safari/itunes store says cant connect to server. this has happened in various locations, states, and on various networks even with full signal strength. i've reset the ipod and the problem persists. only when it feels like it does it start working again. could this somehow be software or is there something wrong with the wifi adapter in my touch?

thanks!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Are these WiFi networks that you are 100% sure have open access? Just because you can connect to the base station without a password doesn't mean that they don't have other access controls in place.

3. manhattanmania thread starter macrumors regular

i understand what you're saying, but not the case. these networks have worked and given me internet on my touch previously, and still do, when the touch feels like it.

4. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

read any of the many posts on this subject for hints of what can work.

5. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Since you mention trying to connect in various locations and states, it seems you must travel around a bit. If possible, find an Apple Store and stop in to let the Apple Geniuses determine the problem. You might be able to get a replacement if yours is bad.

Store locations http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Spotty internet connectivity would be just due to reception quality.

There are internet access points that the touch can't differentiate (unlike a macbook) as computer-to-computer connections. Such are used commonly today as ways of hacking your computer, like "Free Public WiFi" or "Linksys"...be sure that if you are connecting to a network, you know what the network is or its origins.

7. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Another thought.

The iPod Touch requires that the router be set to 128 bit encryption to work properly. It's possible that the routers you encounter are set to 64 bit encryption, giving you spotty reception.