Wifi connects but Safari doesn't see anything

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WayneH, Mar 27, 2008.

1. WayneH macrumors newbie

It is geginning to look like this is a recurring theme in the forums. I setup my 16gb IPT on my Linksys wireless home network as easy as you please and downloaded music and surfed the web. This IPT had a dark screen so I went back to Costco and got a 32GB IPT. After setting password it connected but Safari came back with a "Server not found" message on any website. WiFi Itunes gives the same. Exchanged it at Costco for another 32, exactly the same. The scroll bar that shows download progress stops at about 1/10 of the blue bar and hangs there, exactly the same on both 32's. I'm using a Linksys WRT150N wireless "N" router with 4 other PCs on it. Using WPA2 security mode with AES encryption. The 16GB IPT had NO internet problems and nothing has changed since getting the 32's. Could there be a problem with the 32GB versions of IPT? I guess I could have gotten 2 bad copies but I kind of doubt it. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Try the "renew lease" button in the network settings.

4. WayneH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Ref26. I'm just grasping at straws here.

5. WayneH thread starter macrumors newbie

Pmb

Thanks, PMB. I tried that already. I also did a "forget this network" and reentered password, same thing. I deleted all the settings on the IPT, even though it is right out of the box, no luck. I'm stumped.
    Wayne

6. sgtboy macrumors 6502

unplug your router for 30 sec

and if that doesn't work, take OFF your password on the router for a minute and see if it works

7. WayneH thread starter macrumors newbie

Sgtboy

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I've reset the modem amd router many times but no luck. I will try removing the password and going to different security settings but this doesn't explain why one of the three IPTs worked great and other two refuse to without any changes in between.
    Wayne

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

have you tried restoring the ipod?

EDIT: just occurred that that is usually associated with a firewall... there may be some router setting to let it open for the ipod....

9. WayneH thread starter macrumors newbie

Pmb

Thanks. I tried on the 3rd IPT setting up wifi before I upgraded to 1.1.4 and it didn't work. I then upgraded and it didn't work. I tried restoring on IPT #2 and it didn't work. If I hadn't seen the 1st IPT work on my network, I would think it is an incompatibility issue with my router but it did work with one of them.

10. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Wait a min....isnt the ipod incompatable with a wireless N network? Are you sure you were connected to your OWN network with your 16gig??

11. WayneH thread starter macrumors newbie

Sgtboy

Hi, Sgtboy.
    My router is in "mixed" mode which means it will work with C, G and N connections. One of my laptops is in "G" mode and works fine.

I thimk I am done with this. Don't know where to go to get tech support and don't have the time to (am tired of) fight it. I'm going to take #3 back (screen too dark on this one also) to Costco and wait until Apple decides to do it right.

Thanks all for the help.

Wayne

12. farlop macrumors newbie

Hello! I got an iPod touch 32GB 3 days ago and I think I'm having the same problems with WiFi! I've tried everything like WayneH (restoring iPod, leaving WiFi unprotected...). I've also tried at wifi connection at work. A mate has an iPod touch 8Gb and he CAN connect to wifi, but not me!!. I enter the password and it's accepted. The blue tick appears near to SSID, but there's no blue icon on the upper left of screen (near to 'iPod'). I have selected DCHP, but got no IP, no netmask, no router, no anything. So, if I try to set an Static IP, when I exit Settings pannel and enter again, that wifi is set to DHCP again

I'm really getting crazy!. The main trouble here is that I can not return the iPod since it was bought in an Apple Store in Texas and I'm in Spain now :(.

Is there something I could try? Any ideas? Waiting for an update? Performing jailbreak?!

13. farlop macrumors newbie

Well.. I finally fixed it. I created a thread on Apple Support Forum and there gave me advice about how to solve the problem. It was a firmware problem, simply restored from iTunes and it fixed.

This is the link to the thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7279833