wifi crappy on new 2012 15 inch mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by utl768, Sep 2, 2012.

1. utl768 macrumors 6502

i pay for 12 mbps from uverse and get 7-8 consistently on wifi with my mini but my macbook pro will get 7-8 for 10-30 secs and then it dips to .5 mbps

should i return the macbook pro for another or could it be some setting im missing

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It sounds like your router is throttling your connection. It could also be the server. If your computer can connect to the network, it's rarely an issue on the computer.

3. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

but my mac mini works fine

could it be some setting?

4. m.demian macrumors member

There's really too little information to be able to accurately say, as there are a whole slew of potential causes. What router/access point are you using? Is your Mac Mini closer to the router than your MBP is when you test the wireless speeds? Does your MBP get expected speeds when connected to a different wireless network other than your home network (a wireless network at school for instance)?

5. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

uverse 2 wire
    mac mini is in same spot as mbp
    dont know im going to test that out today

6. utl768 thread starter macrumors 6502

rebooting the router seems to have fixed things for now

im considering add a airport express though since it seems macs play nicer with there own products

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If it does it again it may be worth changing the channel on the access point. It can cause some strange performance issues for some, but not all, nodes on the network.

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

If you have a relatively new router that supports 5GHz networks, that should solve just about any wireless performance issues you are having.

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Do you experience the same performance problems when you attempt to transfer a file from the Mini to the MBP and vice versa? Or is the problem limited to internet transfers?