Wifi Diagnostics

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by kristeva, Jul 28, 2017.

1. kristeva macrumors newbie

kristeva

Hi all

I'm currently renting an self contained annexe room and getting my internet via wifi from the house owners hub/router in his office across the hallway. At first my Mac Pro / Sierra had a bit of trouble getting a decent connection but it settled down after a day or two. Over the coming weeks the signal strength varied, mostly full bars were indicated but the connection was patchy. It kept getting stuck and eventually I had to continuously turn wifi on and off to get it back, like every 2 minutes. I suspect the hub is being used by other residents too. In situations like this it's easy to blame the internet provider / hub, but after a little bit of research on how to boost my signal I decided to try a wifi diagnostics. It requested my password and then I assume went about its business, (there was no explanation, panel, etc). After a few minutes my internet was super, super fast and the connection has been good / stable since.

I'm obviously not complaining, and I know nothing about wifi, but what exactly has gone on here? Has diagnostics affected this change, chosen / tapped into another channel for example? I'm just curious for future reference, or in case the connection fades out again.

Cheers.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Did you ever change the WiFi adapter's parameters such as MTU? It sounds like it recreated the connection.

3. kristeva thread starter macrumors newbie

kristeva

No, I just ran the diagnostics. The signal had become so sticky, jamming up every 2 or 3 minutes. As it asked me for my password I guess it must have affected some kind of change in my settings.