Wifi disables when locked + when charging

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by imLebaneez, Mar 16, 2014.

1. imLebaneez macrumors newbie

I now have a phobia from my iPhone's wifi.
    Last year I had an iPhone 4S and in February 2013 I updated it to iOS 6 through OTA and lost my wifi (greyed out) so I've been living with the hair dryer trick for 1 year until last month I finally decided it to trade it with a used iPhone 5.
    At first, I thought my problem was solved. But hahahaha I laugh a lot at my luck. It's quite known that the iPhone disables wifi when the screen is locked unless it is connected to a power source. My iPhone 5 still disconnects from my wifi even while it's charging :confused:
    I'm on iOS 7.0.4 with Cydia installed and a tweak called Insomnia which keeps the wifi always enabled and it actually works, but that doesn't take my worries about my wifi away, in addition to the tweak's battery draining. Is anything wrong with my Wifi? I tried resetting network settings, it worked for a couple of hours but still it disconnects a lot and I really get mad when Push notifications don't show on my lockscreen cause of the wifi :mad: Any solutions?

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

WiFi goes to sleep when the phone is locked. I'm pretty sure that's what it is supposed to do. It will then restart when you unlock your phone, otherwise it would be draining the battery unnecessarily.

3. imLebaneez thread starter macrumors newbie

I said that I'm aware of that but it's also quite known that it's supposed to remain enabled when the iPhone is connected to a power source, but mine doesn't.

4. Armen, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Where did you read that? searching the internet all I see are work arounds on how to make it stay on. Sounds like it was by design to have it turn off with Sleep regardless if power is connected or not.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have never heard of that. There were many threads when the iPhone 5 came out about people using up their data plans overnight whilst at home and supposedly connected to WiFi. The phones disconnect whether plugged into the mains or not, so far as I'm aware.

6. imLebaneez thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that I've previously owned a 3GS and a 4S and they never disconnected while charging so I was just wondering... And my friends' iPhone 5 doesn't disconnect... I think I have to live with it.
    Thanks for the help guys I really appreciated it.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My iPhone 5 disconnects whilst charging and with the screen locked. It doesn't do it straight away but it does it after a brief period of being unattended.

8. imLebaneez thread starter macrumors newbie

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Upon waking? No, not always. It takes a short while for the WiFi to connect and for everything to push through. However, I have a bad 3G signal at home, so my phone cannot default to that temporarily (if that were indeed how things work, I hope not).

10. imLebaneez thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha same here... I see. We'll live we'll live.

11. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

It's all your fault for jailbreaking and not restoring as new

12. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

iOS is pathetic you can set not only the power level but the constant VPN on and wifi on and switch from wifi to cellular automatically (in jb 4.3) on android.

iOS is just so behind it's really sad.