Wifi disconnected despite full bar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seasurfer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I have been having this problem since I use Lion.

My Wifi is always full bar, at least that is what it shows. I have great connection speed most of the time. However, occasionally while I am surfing the internet or in the midst of downloading something, it seems that I get disconnected despite full wifi signal. Initially I thought it was my router or my ISP problem, then I check my iPad2 which is using the same wifi network, my iPad2 is able to connect to the internet but my iMac can't. I turn off my iMac wifi and turn it on again and it works well again.

Here is the frustrating part, I can't be turning my iMac wifi on/off all the time just to make surf the net, I can't do this too if I am in the midst of downloading something, I have to re-download again and it is a waste of time.

Please tell me where went wrong. Thanks.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Try this:

1) Open System Preferences->Network pane.

2) Use in the Network pane, at the top of that pane, is 'Location'. Use that pull down to 'Edit' and in that drop down click on the + symbol and make a custom name (in one word calling it whatever you want) and then save that new Location name.

3. Then use that new 'Location to rejoin your wireless network. Then click on the 'Apply' button to save everything. Don't worry you new name will act the SAME WAY as Automatic.

This should fix the OS X wireless problems. If you are still having problem test your laptopn on another network to see if it is your Mac or your cheap wireless router.

3. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Also, just as an FYI, the menu bars only show the strength of your connection to the router, not your actual internet connection through the modem.

4. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is really not my router problem. Because while my internet seems disconnected even with full wifi bar, my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4s is able to use the same wifi with no trouble. That is why I am perplexed.

5. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

The computer isn't getting an IP from the router. This is often the case because computers run on more advanced protocols than mobile devices. If the router is over 2 years old, replace it. Otherwise fiddle with your settings until you get it right.

6. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

The router is more than 2 years old, but it is the big base Apple's Air Port Extreme. Should I replace it?

7. jcampbell1070 macrumors member

i have the same problem. i have lion 1.7.2 and i try the location trick and it didnt work. when it happens lion shows full bars but the internet wont work but i can login to the router and look around but i cant use the internet intil i turn off/on the wifi. its not the router bocause i have a pc,iphone,blackberry on wifi and a att micro cell thats all working right when lion stops working. so hopefully 1.7.3 will fix this problem.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If you can touch the router and have full wifi bars, then you are not getting disconnected from your wifi (you are still connected). In your case you more than likely have an issue with your DNS server. You may need to set up a secondary DNS server within the router as it seems your mac is dropping the DNS server?

9. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

I replaced my 1st Gen Airport Express with a brand new one....and it fixed literally all of my disconnection problems in Lion. So yes, get a new one.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

try adding 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as your DNS.
    It's a google public DNS and very fast.

I've been using that forever it seems like and have never had a disconnect problem in Lion. It may not be a fix but worth a shot.

11. jcampbell1070 macrumors member

update i had a ubee modem/router from time warner cable and i was having problems (my post is earlier in this post) anyways i just went and bought a netgear wndc4500 router and so for i haven't had no problems i was having before. so if you are having any problems we was having get a new router.