Wifi disconnects constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by louiselbest, Dec 10, 2013.

1. louiselbest macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

When I'm writing this post my wifi has disconnected more than twice !
    It looks like it disconnects my mac constantly approximately every 10 minutes !

This wifi router that I'm connected to is a router that I set up manually to receive wifi from the Virgin box. It worked fine for the first month but now since 2 weeks it keeps disconnecting me, and weirdly enough this only happens on my Mac (running OSx 10.6, yeah I know, an ancestor ^^ ), on my iphone 5 it works perfectly.

Can someone help me out here, I'm a student and I need some help to continue my studies properly !

Thank you guys for the help.

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Can you take your macbook someplace that has free wifi, and tell us if the problem happens there too?

-WC-

3. louiselbest thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i've tried it with the main wifi and it works perfectly !

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Okay, well, if your Macbook works on your main wifi but not your other - the problem might be with the other wifi. Where is the other wifi? Is it someplace that is very busy?

I've been busy places that had more users than it could handle, and it would bump people off or refuse users randomly.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Describe your hardware, e.g. model numbers. What's a Virgin Box?

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Can you use your smartphone with some wifi scanner/analyzer app to see how congested your radio space is?

7. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Are there any iOS apps that do that? I read somewhere that Apple banned all those apps due to their hacking functionality. Android has amazing options to analyze wifi.

I can't wait for the OP to come back and explain her setup. By her report, it's a router she setup to connect to receive wifi from a 'virgin' box.

Is Virgin an ISP in some parts of the world? If so, is she using her local router as a repeater or something?

Or is her iPhone a Virgin Mobile one, configured to act as a hotspot? I wouldn't think they would have that option active as they are a discount value prepaid service.

8. louiselbest thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha "She" I'm actually a guy lol

Yeah but Virgin is the name of my broadband provider and they have provided us with a router (aka the Virgin Box).

To respond to blueroom, the router only has 2 people using it so it's weird that it keeps checking me out. Is there anyway of checking who are the people using the router, someone might of been able to get into it, as it is free of password !

The HARDWARE i've got is a Mac book (the white one, i think 2007) and the router is a TP router and it's just been recently that has worked properly,.

In addition, Ive also checked with the others and they have confirm that their connection works perfectly !

Cheers for your consideration

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Sorry Louise! I thought you were a girl.

Okay, so I get that you have a Macbook, and a router from your broadband provider, Virgin. You report having a TP router.

Question1: is the TP router a wireless router? If so, do you use it because the router from Virgin isn't wireless? If the Virgin router is a wireless router, then why do you have the TP router?

Question2: Why do you not have a password on your wireless router? Then you won't need to worry about neighbors being on your connection.

If you are able to connect to other wifi connections without issue but your home connection to the TP router is not working, then your problem isn't likely the Macbook and is instead the router. Actually could be a few things:
    a) too many conflicting routers on the same channel in the area.
    b) someone connected to the router is purposefully disconnecting you
    c) your router is erroring and needs a reboot.
    d) router is misconfigured
    e) got to be other possibilities I didn't mention

Reboot your wireless router. Assuming it is what is processing DHCP requests on the network and issuing IPs, it is the likely problem point.
    Then lockdown your router by putting a WPA2-PSK key on your wireless router. Change the admin password on the router too.

See if that does the trick for you.

-WC-