Wifi disconnects when locked

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Maziar, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Maziar macrumors 6502

Hey guys
    Recently,I upgraded my 4S to iOS6 and since then,I've been experiencing this issue.Wifi drops when the phone is locked for more than 2-3 minutes.
    Any ideas ?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure the iPhone has done this since iPhone OS 1.0.

3. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

This is part of iOS. Dont ask me why, dont know but i have had every iphone since first launch and they have all done it.

4. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Yep - always does this.

One of the most annoying things in the world, as soon as my phone locks my speakers start randomly singing with interference!

I think it's a battery saving thing. I don't know if I notice any difference though, cause I have to leave the screen on...

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Make since, but option to turn this off wouldn't hurt.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

Why? Assuming it's on an iPhone, it'll use cellular data to push through notifications.

8. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Not just thinking about notifications. what if I am streaming music, I don't want it to kick over to cellular data simply because the lock screen cam on.

9. tcb9289 macrumors member

I had to do a full restore on my device yesterday, and the constant wifi-dropping proved to be a huge pain during the iCloud restore process. If I didn't tap the screen to prevent auto-lock, the whole process would fail and I had to start the restore over again. The result was 15 minutes of tapping the screen every 30 seconds.

I like that it drops wifi on lock in most situations, but it seems like an oversight to do so during an icloud restore, especially when the phone is connected to a power source.

10. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Strange,Because w/iOS5,my Wifi icon was visible in the lock screen but not with iOS6

11. LittleCanonKid macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. It's annoyed me too. I'm running my iPhone on prepaid and I don't have a lot of data, so whenever I'm home, it's much better to turn off cellular data altogether and just leave Wi-Fi on.

With iOS 5, Apple had the sense to leave the Wi-Fi radio on if cellular data was turned off. In iOS 6, if cellular data is off and Wi-Fi is on, it will still disconnect Wi-Fi after a few seconds of sleep. You can see it reconnect when you turn on the lock screen again, right?

It's an annoying and arbitrary change, and I've been looking for a fix as well.

12. Maziar thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes exactly.
    As soon as I unlock the phone,it connects to the wifi

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think it's an iOS 6 issue b/c it happens on my iPhone 5 & now it's happening on my iPad 2 even though I never noticed it being an issue with iOS 5 installed.

14. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I know this is a few months old, but that's not how iOS works.

It will not turn off the Wi-Fi when there's something using it (like a streaming audio App - e.g Pandora or a VOIP App - e.g. Skype).

----------

This is how iOS has always functioned.

iOS 4 changed things slightly so that Wi-Fi would remain on if cellular data was completely unavailable for some reason.

16. lulumink macrumors regular

Agreed with you all on this.

I just don't get it.
    Why the hell did Apple want to change something that was already working fine/perfect??? Just stupid for no reasons.

the ipod music app is ugly too. I liked the previous one much better.
    I think iOS6 is a downgrade in terms of visuals and some part of functionality

17. kralnor macrumors member

It actually does turn off wifi on my iPad 4 - when using stitcher for example, or streaming podcasts, or using airplay to stream video to my TV. If the screen goes off, the audio stops and I get a connection error once the buffer runs out. Wifi reconnects right away when I wake it up and I can start the audio again. Even more irritating is that it tries to save my battery for me in this manner even when it's plugged in at 100% and running fully off the outlet.

I appreciate Apple trying to protect me from using my own battery, but unless I'm mistaken, the battery is there so I can use the device, correct? Or is it there so I can worry about it running out to the point where I need Apple to limit functionality so it will never ever run out ever? Why don't they just shut down the iPad totally when it gets to about 5-10% to make sure it doesn't die and hamper my user experience? ;)

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm going to throw in my $.02...
    This WiFi bug is particularly annoying when you're traveling and you have your iPhone in Airport Mode with WiFi turned on. If you're using the phone, iMessages/Emails/Notifications won't come thru, and even when you unlock the phone they are either delayed or never make it thru.

IMO this is a big issue because if you're in an area with poor cellular coverage (ofice building, home basement) and you rely on WiFi for iMessage and emails, you will miss all of them unless your leave the screen on all the time.

19. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Reset your network settings. I had this issue, and it went back to normal after I reset it. I also think it has something to do with restoring from backup, but I can't really prove that.

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I doubt this would fix it. It's not a bug. WiFi cuts off by design after the screen goes off.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

But it's supposed to wake up whenever there are any push notifications. (And it shouldn't be turning off if the screen simply goes off while you are still streaming something, for example.)

22. ivnj macrumors 65816

On my 3gs I have tmobile unlimited data and 100 minutes 30 dollar plan. I leave it on all the time including wifi. When I lock my phone the wifi stays on the lock screen. It only goes off wifi and onto 3g or E when I leave the house or am out of range of the wifi. It came with 5.1.1. Or if you're jail broken Insomnia app.

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Well if your cellular data is off then there's no way to tell the WiFi that there's a push notification waiting to come thru. Thus, you miss iMessages, emails etc, until you physically unlock the phone.
    And I don't think there's a different behavior for when you're streaming media.

----------

We're talking about iOS 6 here.

24. ivnj macrumors 65816

I was just confirming it was a 6 thing and not 5. Anyhow I found the answer. My moms 4s with 6 doesn't go off when wifi when locked either as long as I'm connected to that little square white wall usb plug thing that the iphones come with.

And yesterday after reading about that from another user on apples own forums the 4s would not disconnect wifi even when unplugs. Unless it just takes a few minutes to register. But while on power at least is good news. So if you are iclouding or updating apps or something god news.

25. L-Tuned, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

L-Tuned macrumors regular

Mine switch to wifi in a blink of eye as soon as I press the home button. I guess that's how it is for OP, that's why he never noticed it before. But it really depends which wifi I'm connecting to..

EDIT: Forgot to mention that wifi stays on when it's charging. So I am assuming it's a battery save purpose.