Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1des

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Okay, i know there are a couple of similar threads before this,
but the ipod i have atm is a brand new ipod touch 4...

whenever my ipod autolocks after 2 mins, my wifi disconnects when i unlock it. The wifi icon is still there, but my IM apps like beejive and nimbuzz disconnects. Also when i try to load pages in safari, it says 'safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding'
The only way i could connect back is either to renew lease in network settings or wait for 5 minutes for the IM apps to connect to the wifi again...

i thought os4.1 says wifi doesnt disconnect when asleep? my push notification is on, and also idle settings for beejive is set at 12 hours. I tried resetting network settings to default but still the same.
Anyone facing similar problems? anyone knows how to fix this?

and i dont think theres a problem with the router wifi since my laptop doesnt disconnects then..

sk1des

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
am i the only one with this problem? no one else with a 4g or running os4.1 have this? :confused:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I think this is a power saving feature. WiFi does turn off when the device is asleep. Same on the iPhone (and maybe iPad too?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You need to check settings at the WiFi Router you are using. Most can be set to disconnect a device after a defined period of no activity. That may be your culprit.

mmpierce

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Since I updated to 4.1, my 3rd Gen iPod Touch is disconnecting from WiFi when it sleeps/is locked. According to the specs from Apple, persistent WiFi is still a feature, so I'm not sure what changed. It's really frustrating. My husband's 3rd Gen Touch is still running 4.0.2, and isn't having this issue at all. Resetting the router, manually entering the DNS server, and restoring the iPod haven't helped at all. In my case, the update to 4.1 seems to have caused the problem.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I've had this issue on 4.0.2 and 4.1. Anyone have a solution so that wifi stays persistent even in sleep mode?

mmpierce

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Has anyone found a fix for this? Barring a fix, do we know when 4.2 will be released?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.