Wifi display for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ajones46, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a wifi display for the iPad, similar to Air Display in the App Store? Don't really want to spend $10, but I can't find one on Cydia/Rock.

2. oli356 macrumors 6502

Just get it for free :p? The benefits of jailbreaking...

3. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, but I don't want to do anything illegal. If there is no free alternative, then I will get the paid version.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

FWIW, Air Display works fairly well for low motion information on the iPad. Definitely would not want to watch a movie.

What I did find interesting is that Air Display also works on my iPhone 3GS. :)

5. mixvio macrumors 6502

Stealing stuff is for losers.

6. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

The ability to run a 'second display' from the remote device requires software installed to 'fool' the desktop/computer OS into thinking it has another display connected. I do not know of any free option for this that is available for iPad.

AirDisplay works fairly well (better than the version of iDisplay I bought which was completely useless in real world application, so was the Wormhole Remote). After spending the cash on all three I was really upset to see how poorly they performed when they were purported to be a 'great option' for an added display. I felt really burned by the promise of good performance or features which were only partially delivered on what was advertised.

To be honest I haven't used AirDisplay much myself either, as I like to simply access the content I would have via native apps or the iPad Safari browser and not be 'tethered' to my desktop.

As for free apps, sorry.

The desktop osx app to do something similar (and its pretty cool, works well but not great for 'high framerates') is called ScreenRecycler and the companion vnc app called JollyFastVNC. I bet this developer could put together an iPad/iOS app for the same purpose.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Currently there is not a "free" solution for you, not even a paid solution on the Jailbraking side, your best bet is AirDisplay

8. ajones46 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

9. oli356 macrumors 6502

In shops it is ;) Not for movies and games where they charge you ridiculous amounts. Anyway... everyone knows copyright is just about power..
    But this isn't the right forum for this talk and is sort of against the rules ;)

Don't see why you would want to use the application though. I can't imagine that stuff looks good on the iPad, not sure about how big stuff would be either..

10. mixvio macrumors 6502

No, it's theft. And I can talk about it fine, I'm not the one doing anything wrong and trying to justify it like a loser.

If you don't want to be called a loser for stealing, protip: don't bring it up.

11. oli356 macrumors 6502

I couldn't care less what you call me so., :). Just as warez talk is against the rules, though most likely is if your posting links etc. And it just has nothing to do with the topic in hand so sorry that millions and millions of people are losers :(

12. mixvio macrumors 6502

Millions and millions of people are losers. What's your point?

13. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I really think you can't go wrong with air display if you need a second display that isn't using video.

And for the piracy issues, if you don't like the prices of things then don't buy it. Find an alternative you're willing to pay for or find something free. It's not fair to the creators who put in time and effort to make those things.

14. rikbrown macrumors regular

I use AirDisplay not to run OS X apps on my iPad, but to use my iPad as an extra monitor when I'm working on my laptop on the road or wherever. I've grown so accustomed to having two monitors (laptop + monitor) on my desk, it feels too small without having a second one when I'm travelling!