Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karelb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
All,

I have seen threads before concerning this issue but I never saw a decent answer.

Ever since I upgraded to Lion last summer my iMac does not automatically reconnect to the preferred WIFI network after a reboot. Not a big issue since the machine hardly needs a reboot.

However since this weekend it refuses to reconnect to the network after sleep/stand-by mode and I have to manually reconnect it.

All other devices (PC's , iPhone, iPad) in the house connect correctly to the network so I assume that the problem is related to the iMac.

Any ideas., Thanks in advance

KArel

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
There are some adjustments in Systems Preferences/Networks you might try. First, make sure the order of preference is correct. If WiFi is how you connect it should be first on the list. If it is not, change the order. Second, click on WiFi and then click on Advanced. This will let you specify which WiFi networks are looked at in order. Make sure your preferred Network is first and consider deleting any Networks no longer in use. Be sure to click Apply on both screens. Finally be sure the correct Wifi Network is selected on the main Network screen when you click WiFi. These steps should insure the iMac defaults to WiFi and picks the right WiFi network each time.

Nlynn527

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I have this same issue on my iMac, but my MacBook does not. I'm going to try your suggestions. Thanks!

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
All,

Ever since I upgraded to Lion last summer my iMac does not automatically reconnect to the preferred WIFI network after a reboot. Not a big issue since the machine hardly needs a reboot.

However since this weekend it refuses to reconnect to the network after sleep/stand-by mode and I have to manually reconnect it.

Any ideas., Thanks in advance

KArel

Many people have had excellent success using the instructions in:

http://rys.pixeltards.com/2011/09/04/osx-lion-wifi.html

If you have trouble following the written instructions here is a YouTube video of someone executing it so you can see how easy it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtxRfFAh8Pg

karelb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Solved

What seems to work for me is removing all known wifi connections but the actual one.
It now connects correctly .

Thanks for the replies.

REgards

KArel

Fonze

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
was running 10.7.2 and tried the youtube thing and it worked, with exception of airdrop which does not work and i had to manually connect to wifi.
Right now i tried to download the 10.7.2.combo update and install. Seems to work, have not experienced any dropout....yet.

Last edited:

orangerock

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
What seems to work for me is removing all known wifi connections but the actual one.
It now connects correctly .

Thanks for the replies.

REgards

KArel
This did it for me too.
My Fall '09 iMac would not connect to Wi-Fi from sleep for about 2 months. I deleted every known network but the one I want to use, now it connects like it is supposed to when waking from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.