Wifi doesn't connect on MacBook automatically

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andrewclarkdrum, Jul 20, 2013.

1. andrewclarkdrum, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

andrewclarkdrum macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just changed my internet/cable providers. Obviously I got a new modem, etc. Since then my MacBook (and sometimes me and my wife's iPhones) will not automatically connect to our wifi. When I open the lid of my laptop the wifi will try to connect and then it will give up and be greyed out. Then I click on the wifi logo and click on my network name out of the list of detected networks in my area. It connects then, but if I close the lid and open it again, I need to manually click on my network name to connect. I talked to my provider, we ran through some stuff and she ended by suggesting I contact Apple as the problem isn't on the provider's end.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is this new modem a combo. cable modem and wifi router all in one device?

Try this... go to System Prefs and in the Network panel select the wifi network then click the advanced button. You will get the screen below. Select each network on this list then click the minus to remove it until there are none left. Make sure the box "Remember networks..." I marked is checked.

Then click okay and apply to save this setting.

Now restart and select your wifi network and enter the PW.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

[​IMG]

If this works, you can accomplish the same thing on the iPhone by going into settings/reset/reset network settings. The phone will wipe the wifi settings and restart. You will need to reenter the wifi info.

3. andrewclarkdrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy.
    By doing this will I also have to re-enter the wifi networks/passwords for various work places, and family/friends houses that I take my laptop too? I'd like to avoid doing that if possible...??

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes you would. You can first try just deleting the ones you know are for the home wifi and see if that fixes it.