Wifi down, need help with Ethernet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by connor.e, Sep 23, 2012.

1. connor.e, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012

connor.e macrumors member

Hello,

I'm in university, and dorm room has no wifi - just an Ethernet socket in the wall. I've been using this with no problem for the month, but as of today, it has stopped working! My MBP tells me I'm connected via Ethernet, however safari says I have no connection. Using DHCP it gives me an IP address of 169.254.etc. I have reset multiple things including pram, changing chords, changing rooms, creating a new location, renewing new lease, NOTHING IS WORKING! First major problem I've had in two years! Hoping someone can help me soon.

I appreciate your time very much.

C.

2. simsaladimbamba

The light is still green in System Preferences > Network > Ethernet?
    Could it be, that you are prohibited on the network?

3. connor.e thread starter macrumors member

Yep. Green and cheerful, while I'm red and fuming. :( Also, I don't think I am locked out/prohibited in any way...

4. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

under system preferences>network, have you tried deleting your Ethernet connection and then re-establishing it?

5. connor.e thread starter macrumors member

6. whdigital macrumors regular

a 169.x.x.x address is indicative that there's no visible DHCP host and your Mac is self assigning that number. I think you already did this, but try deleting the memorized network entirely and make sure Airport is off just for grins. Other than that you might contact the school's IT support group. If they are providing network, they must have a helpline.

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Have you contacted the help desk? If the school is providing ethernet to the dorms, they should be able to help you connect.