iPhone Wifi drop connection issues. iPhone 5s.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by quickcalibre, Oct 27, 2014.

1. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Hi, I can't seem to find any threads on this. I've seen some slow wifi threads, but this is not a slow wifi issue.

I have bt infinity and it gives me plenty speed. With an iPhone 5s.

I got this problem since I upgraded to iOS8 and never in iOS7.

So basicly the problem is this, my wifi drops it's connection when using some apps, switches to my 4g network, and then a reconnects to wifi.

This has drained alot of my phone credit as sometimes I don't notice the switch.

But a very common situation is that I open my uk radios app, and switch to my sleep timer app, and my radio stops within a minute or so, due to disconnection to my wifi network.

I've also noticed this problem with bbc iplayer and the 4oD app, and even occasionally with google chrome, it's not the speed that's effected, just randomly disconnects and then reconnects. Causing disruption to any smooth streaming I want.

So just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or maybe found an easy fix to it?

I've tried forgetting my network and resetting it, and it hasn't helped.

I'm not at all keen on resetting my phone to factory settings as I have some very important data connected to my business, and would be very disastrous for me if I were to lose it. (Would also like to keep all my game saves.)

2. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

Check your router security settings....

I had to change mine from WEP to WPA2, wifi has been rock solid since.

The annoying thing is, we shouldn't have to bugger about with routers to make something work which was fine on a previous firmware.

The above has sorted the issue for some but made no difference for others, hope your situation isn't the latter one.

All the best

3. quickcalibre thread starter macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Thanks I already did this but it made no difference.

4. bertimus2002 macrumors member

5. quickcalibre thread starter macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Will do, I created this thread because I didn't think it was a speed issue, like the other threads posted, but maybe it's related.

I did a speed test and I have 30.52 Mbps download and 12.96 Mbps upload. Which is plenty to get me by for my needs.

On my iMac, it is faster at 44.59 Mbps download and 15.05 Mbps upload. So it is slightly slower on the iPhone, but I'm not sure if this is normal without the problems anyway.

6. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

For the first time since owning iPhones (and I've had them all) ive not updated my firmware as I can't be sure what the final outcome will be.

I think if my wifi packed in again I'd simply use my iPhone 6 as a skipping stone through the showroom of my phone service provider.

7. quickcalibre thread starter macrumors regular

quickcalibre

Well I've read the recommended thread and some similar ones on the slowness issue, and it doesn't look very hopeful at all.

It seems like no one knows what is even causing the issues.

----------

Also just wondering, are you guys are having wifi drops while streaming music or video?

Or are you affected by the slowness issue?

I can see how they'd be connected, because slow internet causes disconnections, but does anyone here have a fastest connection like myself and still experiences disconnections with streaming media?

8. Beefburga macrumors 6502

Beefburga

I've never had the quickest speeds but watching streaming media on my iPhones has never been an issue until my new iPhone 6.

Prior to my aforementioned security settings change I'd get about 10 seconds of video before I'd get the buffering wheel on the screen.

Now, everything streams perfectly.