WiFi Drop Constantly (includes Diagnostics)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Soundburst, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I know this is a major problem for quite a few people all over th internet, but basically my MacBook will show as FULL signal on my Virgin Media Superhub 2 (200mb connection) as i' right beside it.

Beside after about 30 seconds the connection will stop, for some mins, then load a web page and repeat the cycle. . . .all while showing as full signal.

Can anyone help me out?

I did a network connection diagnostics, which alerted me to a drop out - and I've included the test results.

Can any smart cookie tell me what the test results show?

Thanks a lot for ANY help.

I've created a second connection via OPENDNS - and it hasn't help either.

Cheers!

Download file: http://we.tl/tRXswimGB3

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Simple.
    You have a bad WIFI chip or some other hardware issue.
    Take it to apple get it replaced.
    Dont wait for feedback here.

3. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

This sounds like exactly the problem I've been having for the last month or so.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013), running El Capitan. I have a Virgin Media Superhub 2, with 70Mbps. Whenever I run speedtest.net it confirms I have a great ping and the speed Virgin claims. My iOS devices all perform as expected. But the MacBook is driving me nuts. So much so that I've ordered an iPad Pro and a new MacBook to replace it.

4. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I think I've solved my own problem. I found the following on stackexchange. Since I followed these instructions, my Mac has been performing flawlessly.

[​IMG]

5. Soundburst, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

The computer works on every other router in the history of the universe. It's some kind of software compatibility with VM Superhub 2 and Apple OS. I'd hoped someone here might have a solution.

6. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that but the problem will return soon enough.

Appreciate the reply though thank you.

7. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Annoyingly you're right.

Made any more progress yourself?

8. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

No :( Virgin Media don't care. Apple don't care.

9. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I too have a Superhub 2 with Virgin and have seen this problem, however in my testing, I think it's a wifi chip problem, as I also get this problem whilst connected to my Uni's wifi (and all of their different hotspots across the Uni of London campus).

On both my MBA and rMBP, if I'm downloading a heavy file (say a OS download or massive game etc), the wifi chip kinda freezes and doesn't allow any more connections. It still shows the wifi as connected but no web pages work etc. If I turn off wifi and turn it back on again, everything is fine.

I've even noticed this problem whilst downloading OS X using Internet recovery. If I click on log, it will stop around packet 300 of 600, and say connection failed.

I've taken it into Apple and they can't reproduce the fault. I gave up as I need my Macs for Uni, but maybe this summer I will investigate it further.