Wifi Dropping During Use - What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Joebrown, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Joebrown macrumors member

Hi, I know this subject is one that's been bouncing around the internet (especially the Apple forums) a lot since last years Mavericks update, however, after trying as many of the fixes I've read as possible, I've still not found the right one :confused:

I've had my iMac since Early 2012 and had no issues with it for two years, but 9 months or so ago it suddenly began to wifi drop when I was downloading or browsing and I've been unable to find a fix since. We hadn't switched routers at the time or moved the positioning of either the iMac or the router.

Why I Think It's The iMac (Software or Hardware)
    -Nothing was changed in our house before it began to drop, same router, same iMac, same positions and no other new tech to interfere.
    -All of my other devices including Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV and Printer all still work from the same room as the iMac, which suggests it's not signal related.
    -The wifi icon doesn't actually drop, just it's connection does, as if it's still connected but goes to sleep and glitches on retrieving any more data via the wifi from then on in. I then have to turn the macs wifi on and off to almost alert back to the signal again.

Why I Think It's Wifi/Router Related
    -If I move the iMac to the landing or downstairs it begins to work fine (Seems a bit of a coincidence)
    -I've tried many, many of the online suggested software fixes, including a reinstall of OS X (although without fully restoring the iMac, as I didn't want to loose Microsoft Office) to no evail

Fixes I've Tried
    -Adding a new wifi location
    -Deleting and re-adding the router to the mac
    -Turning the router on and off
    -The router installs it's own firmware automatically and is up to date
    -Changing the routers wifi channel manually to various ones
    -Changing the wifi's password settings from WEP to others.
    -A variety of little changes in the iMacs preferences
    -Reinstalling OS X Mavericks through Start Up Recovery (but without clearing the Internal Hard Drive - retaining the initial settings)
    -Probably many others I've forgotten too

So that's everything I've got I think, I've tried everything I can think off but it's just left me baffled. :confused: I don't know whether it's the wifi or the iMac, or even something else and when one thing happens to suggest the one, something else happens five mins later to suggest the other.

It's the most irritating of things, I've just had a new Macbook Pro and almost wish I'd had one with a larger SSD, so I could just scrap the iMac altogether! If anyone has any other idea's on what it could be or where I should go next, I'd really appreciate hearing it. This thing's beginning to send me nuts now :rolleyes:

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Well if the iMac just stays in one place, why not hook it up via UTP or homeplug (Ethernet via wall port).

3. Joebrown thread starter macrumors member

hi cerberuss, that's a good idea but do they slow down your connection? Also, the only plug near my iMac is behind my desk, meaning it might not fit depending their size. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's something I'll look into :)

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I've had reasonable results with homeplug solutions and my house is ~80 years old. Don't expect a 200 Mbps homeplug to deliver just that, in reality mine was actually about a tenth of the advertised maximum speed. But my internet speed wasn't that great, and stability was more important for me.

In any case, I suggest you simply try. Since then, newer 500 Mbps homeplug products have appeared on the market, including ones that are quite small and ones that allow power pass-through to the wallport.

Here's a nice test:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32454-tp-link-homeplug-head-to-head?start=1

[​IMG]

I've been using a similar product for two years in the attic, where we watch TV from a media player (an old Windows box). After two years or so, I found some old coax cabling behind the drywall in the attic, and was able to pull a simple UTP cable from the attic to the hallway closet downstairs.