Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I have just installed the public release of Sierra and am noticing that my wifi is dropping occasionally on my 2015 15" Retina MBP. I have to disable and re-enable the wifi when this happens for the to connection to restore. I had no problem under El Cap.

Anyone else having this issue?

P.S. I'm using an Apple Router.

Gambit66

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I have just installed the public release of Sierra and am noticing that my wifi is dropping occasionally on my 2015 15" Retina MBP. I have to disable and re-enable the wifi when this happens for the to connection to restore. I had no problem under El Cap.

Anyone else having this issue?

P.S. I'm using an Apple Router.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Also mid 2015 15" Retina MBP and didn't have any issuea with El Cap. I have the issue when connected to Ubiquiti AC PRO access points. I lose connection about 4 times a day. Very annoying.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Also mid 2015 15" Retina MBP and didn't have any issuea with El Cap. I have the issue when connected to Ubiquiti AC PRO access points. I lose connection about 4 times a day. Very annoying.

I don't know why this issue keeps rearing its head every time there is a new version of macOS. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? I did an upgrade. Everything else has been stellar except for the wifi issue.

Last edited:

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I ran every beta up to GM and did an upgrade install of the public release just in case.

This is the first time I *haven't* had a wifi issue.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Having the same problem. Only way to get wifi working again is to turn it off and back on. Running a clean install of the GM release

Gambit66

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I don't know why this issue keeps rearing its head every time there is a new version of macOS. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? I did an upgrade. Everything else has been stellar except for the wifi issue.

Upgraded from El Cap.

KSean

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
I'm also experiencing this; upgraded from El Capitan to the GM release. The issue wasn't present before, happens on both 2.4 and 5GHz. The WiFi will randomly drop out every 2-3hrs, seemingly randomly. The issue doesn't occur on my iPhone.

Mid-2014 15 inch MacBook Pro

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I'm also experiencing this; upgraded from El Capitan to the GM release. The issue wasn't present before, happens on both 2.4 and 5GHz. The WiFi will randomly drop out every 2-3hrs, seemingly randomly. The issue doesn't occur on my iPhone.

Mid-2014 15 inch MacBook Pro

This is now a consistent issue and becoming increasingly annoying. Anyway to diagnose this or any ideas on how to fix. Is there a way to reset network settings on a mac like on iOS.

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
My 2011 Mac Mini is also dropping the wi-fi. I don't have to turn off the wi-fi; I just re-choose my network.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Did a clean install to try and rectify the situation. Still dropping connection about 4 to 5 times a day.

xhruso00

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Same issue on El Capitan. I did clean install month ago on my retina Mac Book Pro 2015 (El Cap) and Yosemite on 2010 Macbook Pro. Having these issues since the new instal. Previously it was completly OK.

soulreaper

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
West Haven, CT
I have no problem connecting to wifi, but the speed though is seriously sluggish. I'm in Malaysia, so bear with me on the figures. On my iPad, I can get a speed of about 20 Mbps but on my late 2013 rMBP I could only get 0.4 Mbps. Anyone facing similar issue?

OceanRider

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Yes, it's Sierra. My mid 2011 Imac does the same dropping WiFi. 5 feet away is my wive's newer Imac and it does not have this issue. So it is Sierra and specific hardware related.

monchote

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Same issue here on Retina Macbook Pro 13''. It seems worse on 5ghz networks.

Has anybody tested whether this is fixed on the beta of 10.12.1?

Reactions: tromboneaholic

bbb555

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
My Mac Pro connects to my 5GHz wireless network and I'm running 10.12.1 beta release 3.
Already had 2 pauses/dropouts with wifi this morning - so still not resolved :/
Never had the issue with 10.11.x

caru

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
europe
Guys, I've got a similar problem. I'm on a Macbook pro early 2011, my wifi doesn't drop but it is unbelievably slow (something like 56kbps with very very high ping latency), and every device connected to the same wifi (mobile phones, iPhones, other computers and so on) experiences the exact same speed problem, it is like Sierra is screwing my entire wifi hot spot.

I've found this:
http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi-fi-problems-macos-sierra/

but it doesn't matter how hard I try, at least for me it doesn't solve anything.

I am sorry to say I had to give up, the only solution that worked was downgrading to El Capitain with time machine.
Waiting for a future release of Sierra explicitly addressing this annoying issue.

Last edited:

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
i can confirm this too, and the "workaround" with setting wifi location is older than the declaration of independence...this has been a "feature" for several OSX point releases (but not limited to) now.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

Get the point? :)

i had similar issues with Capitan or Yosemite, can't remember exactly...
what fixed it for good was fresh installing the from scratch (USB boot), instead of upgrades via Appstore.

throwawayballs714

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
i can confirm this too, and the "workaround" with setting wifi location is older than the declaration of independence...this has been a "feature" for several OSX point releases (but not limited to) now.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

Get the point? :)

i had similar issues with Capitan or Yosemite, can't remember exactly...
what fixed it for good was fresh installing the from scratch (USB boot), instead of upgrades via Appstore.

I always do clean installs. I have the issue.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
after installing Sierra from scratch, i didn't have the issue. Once the update to 10.12.1 appeared some time after that and was installed, i have the Wifi issue too....after waking up from sleep i need to disable and reenable wifi in order to get working internet.

wtf is this...Apple slowly but surely losing mojo.
Oh btw i also have that garbled screen issue when waking from sleep....imac 5K retina machine

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
after installing Sierra from scratch, i didn't have the issue. Once the update to 10.12.1 appeared some time after that and was installed, i have the Wifi issue too....after waking up from sleep i need to disable and reenable wifi in order to get working internet.

wtf is this...Apple slowly but surely losing mojo.
Oh btw i also have that garbled screen issue when waking from sleep....imac 5K retina machine

Apple has almost always had Wi-Fi issues early on with a major version update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.