Wifi Dropping on Sierra Public Release?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by nylon, Sep 20, 2016.

1. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

I have just installed the public release of Sierra and am noticing that my wifi is dropping occasionally on my 2015 15" Retina MBP. I have to disable and re-enable the wifi when this happens for the to connection to restore. I had no problem under El Cap.

Anyone else having this issue?

P.S. I'm using an Apple Router.

2. Gambit66 macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Also mid 2015 15" Retina MBP and didn't have any issuea with El Cap. I have the issue when connected to Ubiquiti AC PRO access points. I lose connection about 4 times a day. Very annoying.

3. nylon, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

I don't know why this issue keeps rearing its head every time there is a new version of macOS. Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? I did an upgrade. Everything else has been stellar except for the wifi issue.

4. Brammy macrumors 65816

I ran every beta up to GM and did an upgrade install of the public release just in case.

This is the first time I *haven't* had a wifi issue.

5. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Having the same problem. Only way to get wifi working again is to turn it off and back on. Running a clean install of the GM release

6. Gambit66 macrumors newbie

Upgraded from El Cap.

7. KSean macrumors member

I'm also experiencing this; upgraded from El Capitan to the GM release. The issue wasn't present before, happens on both 2.4 and 5GHz. The WiFi will randomly drop out every 2-3hrs, seemingly randomly. The issue doesn't occur on my iPhone.

Mid-2014 15 inch MacBook Pro

8. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

This is now a consistent issue and becoming increasingly annoying. Anyway to diagnose this or any ideas on how to fix. Is there a way to reset network settings on a mac like on iOS.

9. Bunyak macrumors member

My 2011 Mac Mini is also dropping the wi-fi. I don't have to turn off the wi-fi; I just re-choose my network.

10. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

Did a clean install to try and rectify the situation. Still dropping connection about 4 to 5 times a day.

11. lenard macrumors 6502

12. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

13. xhruso00 macrumors newbie

Same issue on El Capitan. I did clean install month ago on my retina Mac Book Pro 2015 (El Cap) and Yosemite on 2010 Macbook Pro. Having these issues since the new instal. Previously it was completly OK.

14. soulreaper macrumors newbie

soulreaper

I have no problem connecting to wifi, but the speed though is seriously sluggish. I'm in Malaysia, so bear with me on the figures. On my iPad, I can get a speed of about 20 Mbps but on my late 2013 rMBP I could only get 0.4 Mbps. Anyone facing similar issue?

15. OceanRider macrumors newbie

Yes, it's Sierra. My mid 2011 Imac does the same dropping WiFi. 5 feet away is my wive's newer Imac and it does not have this issue. So it is Sierra and specific hardware related.

16. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

17. monchote macrumors newbie

Same issue here on Retina Macbook Pro 13''. It seems worse on 5ghz networks.

Has anybody tested whether this is fixed on the beta of 10.12.1?

18. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

You could be right about the 5ghz networks...

19. bbb555 macrumors newbie

bbb555

My Mac Pro connects to my 5GHz wireless network and I'm running 10.12.1 beta release 3.
    Already had 2 pauses/dropouts with wifi this morning - so still not resolved :/
    Never had the issue with 10.11.x

20. caru, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

caru macrumors newbie

caru

Guys, I've got a similar problem. I'm on a Macbook pro early 2011, my wifi doesn't drop but it is unbelievably slow (something like 56kbps with very very high ping latency), and every device connected to the same wifi (mobile phones, iPhones, other computers and so on) experiences the exact same speed problem, it is like Sierra is screwing my entire wifi hot spot.

I've found this:
    http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/22/fix-wi-fi-problems-macos-sierra/

but it doesn't matter how hard I try, at least for me it doesn't solve anything.

I am sorry to say I had to give up, the only solution that worked was downgrading to El Capitain with time machine.
    Waiting for a future release of Sierra explicitly addressing this annoying issue.

21. zerozoneice macrumors regular

i can confirm this too, and the "workaround" with setting wifi location is older than the declaration of independence...this has been a "feature" for several OSX point releases (but not limited to) now.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

Get the point? :)

i had similar issues with Capitan or Yosemite, can't remember exactly...
    what fixed it for good was fresh installing the from scratch (USB boot), instead of upgrades via Appstore.

22. throwawayballs714 macrumors newbie

I always do clean installs. I have the issue.

23. zerozoneice macrumors regular

after installing Sierra from scratch, i didn't have the issue. Once the update to 10.12.1 appeared some time after that and was installed, i have the Wifi issue too....after waking up from sleep i need to disable and reenable wifi in order to get working internet.

wtf is this...Apple slowly but surely losing mojo.
    Oh btw i also have that garbled screen issue when waking from sleep....imac 5K retina machine

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Apple has almost always had Wi-Fi issues early on with a major version update.