Wifi dropping out on macbook pro (2008 model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kissaragi, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Hi, the last couple of months ive been having a problem with the wifi connection on my macbook pro (15", 2008 model, 2.2 ghz). Sometimes its fine, others it just keeps timing out and most of the time it says its connected ok, but sites load really slowly and services such as messenger keep getting disconnected.

I think im at the extreme range of the wifi signal, but my iphone 4 always works ok in the same location. I have a low end n router atm, would upgrading to a more expensive duel n router increase the range? Or anything else i can do to help?

2. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Easiest solution in my opinion would be to boost the range of the Wifi signal.

This usually can be done by going into the router settings. You can do this by going to the router IP address in a web browser. 192.168.1.1

after logging in with the correct username and password look for a setting usually in a section reserved for Wifi settings to change the signal strength of the signal.

3. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the reply. Ive checked the signal strength already, and its set to max, ive also played with the channels to no effect.

4. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

you could try changing the settings around for the type of signal to "B only" or "B+G" or whatever..

There are also after market antenna boosters on the market.
    There are also DIY solutions to boosting your signal.

Lastly, if your router supports it, there are alternate DIY Router Firmwares floating around, what comes to mind are "tomato firmware" and also "DD-WRT", that allow you to Boost your signal further.

5. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

i hadnt thought of the diy boosters, i might give that a go. Would upgrading to a better, duel n router actually increase the range slightly?